Bad swivels?

I've noticed that sometimes when I pull my crawler harnesses in at the end of the trip, they are all twisted up.  So from the point where they attach to the bottom bouncer and back the line is all twisted up like the swivel isn't working.  Is it like this underwater when I am trolling or just because I may be reeling it in fast and that blade is spinning and there is more pressure on the swivel and it isn't turning?  I'm trying to decide if I need to cut off all my swivels and replace them with ball bearing swivels, or if it's just a fast retrieve at the end of the trip that is causing the issue.  I guess I could do a slow retrieve at the end of the trip and see if that makes a difference, but if I need to replace swivels, I'd like to do it before my next trip.  Thoughts from anybody?

Go to good ball bearing swivels I tried some cheaper ball bearing swivels and still had the same problem. Also make sure your clevis is spinning freely. They can get sand in them and might need cleaned out, or might need replaced if they have extra material in them from the mold process. I have had this with the plastic ones where there is a little plastic lent from molding them.   When the good bb swivels start to stick run them under fresh water and it flushes any sand out and you can use them again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I added new ball bearing swivels to all of my spinner/crawler rigs (which isn't a lot since I'm just starting out).  It made a big difference.  I only noticed a tangled crawler leader line come in once and we boxed 25 walleyes.  Prior to that, our best was 12 fish.  So I think it made a difference.  Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...