I know for me and at least two of my buddies out of St. Joe the fishing has been so bad this year for salmon we haven't made the effort to go out just to pound the bottom for grease or run out to 250 feet in hopes of getting something silver. Lack of fishing activity and poor fishing I think is the cause. Guys are much more inclined to report doing well then getting a skunk.

Agree with Pikeman. This past weekend I fished piers in St Joe and Holland without ever seeing a silver fish taken.  Talked to boat fisherman and charters in Holland, Grand Haven, Saugatauk, South Haven and St Joe...same story everywhere, slow to dead.

Almost daily reports from the Holland area.  Not bad for June with no kings around.

One of the charters we talked to in Saugatuck Saturday am had 19 Lakers by ten am; they got one pulling lines with a six man limit.  My nephew caught four steel surf fishing Saturday morning and missed at least that many more.  Most times you need 8# to break to top 25 at the Kids and Kings tournament, this year you needed almost 10#.

• Like 1

FBD are you talking Kings or Lakers?

I was talking to some guys who were fishing the tournament down at Michigan city back in April and they said they were targeting Lakers in order to get their weights. Seems the small Cohos and Kings being hard to come by everyone is focusing on the Lakers.

The new normal???

106 kids, I think 74 weighed a fish, 4 kings, about 10 steel, 1 brown, and the rest Lakers.  Or pretty much normal June fishing.

Steelheaders tournament in May was a laker and coho fest.  Three years ago on that day we got our 15 in the morning grabbed a new crew and got them their 10 in the afternoon, all at the piers.  Amazing how fast that changed, as 18 of those were double digit kings.

That's what I was thinking - but didn't know for sure. I fish out of Muskegon and we took a little boat rife a few weeks ago - but didn't see anything on the sonar from 90-250 FOW. It would appear that the Chinook cuts in population are taking their toll. I will start fishing after the 4th of July and will report everything that happens.