Holland Steelheaders All Species Fund Raiser

DIRTY DOG

This is a extremely fun fundraiser tournement to raise money to help fund the fight on the 2020 Tribal Negotiations, witch if passes would allow gill nets to be places anywhere in Make Michigan. Yes even write hear in your back yard weather it's St, Joe  , Holland or Grand Haven, they will be hear. So if your interested go to hollandsteelheaders.org to learn more or sign up or even donate , there will also be a nice trophy for he team with the best 5 fish , and the best part is , you don't even have to figure out what do do with your sheep head, cat fish or what ever, the necritius foundation will be there to take ANY unwanted fish.

image.jpeg

Is the site fixed?  I sent an e-mail last week through the Steelheaders suggestion box.  I tried to sign up twice but it keeps snagging when it goes to Paypal.  I can log in to Paypal through their site no problem.

Well we struggled today.  We went out front early to get some steel but saw NOTHING happening on the boats and the pier, and plenty of other people had this idea.  We had one good rip on a slide diver that didn't stick.  Came back into the channel and just off Van Andel's dock a two color with a Jerry Lee mini streak took a 29" sheep  that covered the bottom of our cooler.  Now we got something.  Nope.  One other rip in there on a jointed rapala but that didn't stick.  Said screw this with 58 degree water let's get my daughter a brown for the league contest so we hit the beach.  Trolled to the swimming beach and about half way back the outer yellow bird just starts screaming and about a 12# steel blows into the air.  Somehow it got much smaller on the way in and was only about 7#.  Still a nice fish.  Then the slide diver started jacking and we found a sucker on it, fair hooked.  That's a new one.  By then it was 11:45 so we quit.

Never expected to struggle to catch sheep!

Just thought I would give a update on how the All Species Tournament went last Saturday. We raises $350 for the tribal negotiations and I believe most if ,not all boat did well, team DIRTY DOG took the trophy and bragging write again this year with 39.84 lbs , and in a very very close second was  team Living Clean with 39.62 lbs. This was a very fun event again this year and we hope to see more again next year. 
Also as a side note please don't forget to sign up for the Kids and Kings tournament on June 25 , just go to hollandsteelheaders.org and follow the links.

Well here is my report . We did very well and this is one of my favorite event of the year to fish , becouse I get to do it with my dad and a couple great old guys I grew up learning from ,, we started in the channle with 6 rod with mostly cranks like thin fish and deep jr Thunder sticks , we could not find a sheephead in there to save our life but boated 2 very nice steelhead infront of the weather station on red with yellow squiggly thin fish , after a few more passes we decided to troll along the south side and back toward the green can near Yaht Basin Marina , this is were it got super fun , with 19 sheephead , 1 catfish, 2 undersized walleye, 2 steelhead from in the channle and a nice 28" tiger musky that went back after a pic.. What made it fun is I sat and drove the entire time and watched these three very great individuals fight fish and set lines like its was a circus , what a apsulute riot!! With that said hear are a couple picks

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I also forgot to mention , none of these fish went to waste, even tho most of what was weighed in was sheephead and catfish Naucratous of South West Michigan was the to collect all the donated fish and give them to some hunger Asia refugees from the Grand Rapids area.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2016 at 7:42 PM, FBD said:

So don't bother with the treaty since we fish south of Grand Haven?

Kevin, there are certainly a few components of the "Consent Decree" which are amendments of the Treaty of 1836, that we as fishermen can take issue with and try to effect.   Mandatory Lake Trout stocking (lake wide) at elevated levels would be one of them.

Amending the Treaty of 1836, which includes the definition of Treaty Waters, would take an act of Congress.   This has not been a position proposed by Tribes in the past. 

Those are two very different and distinct items, and probably could have been worded better when promoting/advertising the tournament.    There is virtually no chance of changing tribal territory waters defined in the Treaty of 1836, to include waters south of the Grand River.     There is a high probability of groups such as the Holland Steelheaders in changing definitions and terms of the "Consent Decree" which would/could impact stocking decisions, quota's, fishery management decisions and so forth.   Those changes could even be introduced and acted upon right now, through a federal injunction by a federal judge, if any party, including the Holland Steelheaders, felt that the current Consent Decree (of 2000) is negatively impacting their or their members fishing experience.

We look forward to working with the Steelheaders and all Lake Michigan fishermen in the next couple of years to influence negotiations and outcomes of the 2020 Consent Decree to protect our fishery.

• Like 1