Keeping a log.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmmm.... I'd love to have that much data. I started big lake fishing last year and have a lot to learn. Not to call you old or anything (you were fishing before I was born) but have you entered your log into a computer to use one of the many different software programs to filter and analyze for trends and patters? I'd do it for you but I'm assuming you may hold your log close and I understand that, you put the time in and earned that knowledge the hard way.

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

Due to wife's poor health I got rid of everything and had to down size.  Fished out of a friends boat for a number of years and now I'm back to fishing out of my boat.  The only good part is I got to buy everything I  really want not what I could afford while raising a family and all the fun stuff that makes life worth while.  Millertime2016  Moby Dick was a minnow when I started fishing.  I am old.  Going to be 70 soon.  Don't get out as much and if NOAA says anything in the 2 to 3 ft. waves.  Tomorrows another day.

I used to try and keep a log thinking yea on a slow day maybe going over it might show what worked or didn't in a similar situation. Over the years I found it really didn't. With the what seems like ever evolving fishery and lake I wont bother to try again.

I can except that. Talked this (keeping a log) over with a guy that fishes a handful of tournaments a year, and I think he'd agree with you, but would point out the usefulness of a log for close proximity time frames and locations. Pre-fishing days before a tournament you try whatever works. Then you throw in short term memory loss. And of course fishing changes daily it feels like. I guess for me if it's not bothersome for me I'm going to try it. Have to find out for myself. Can't get out soon enough, going out of Holland tomorrow morning. Should be plenty of boats out on the calm water for the weekend tournament. Good luck all. Wish I had a boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App