Holland 5/11 AM - Coho still lurking about

Apparently my electronics are holding me back.  My display puked out last weekend, but still decided to go out today with 3 man crew.  All I had working for me today was free, bare bones GPS app on my smart phone, Fishhawk, and autopilot. Smart phone app basicly gave me coordinates.  No tracks, one waypoint only.  Left the pier heads and throttled up to about 20 mph and ran for about 18 min.  Guesstimated I was about 6 mi out in 170-180 fow range so set lines.  Had 2 coho in the boat before all lines set.  We were sitting at about 3 for 5 at 9AM when the fire drill hit, 6 rods went off in the space of about 15 min or so.  The most we had on at one time was a triple, but as soon as we got one in the boat another rod would go off.  We managed to boat 5 in all the mess.  Finally got all lines in, when the sun came out and things slowed down.  I had been running a rigger 150 down all morning with the others at 65, 60 and 55 down.  Once the rigger 150 down finally went off, we dropped the other riggers to 85, 80 and 65 down and things started to pick up again.  The 80 and 85 riggers began going off and we boated 3 more fish.  Final tally was 12 for 16, all coho.

Direction of troll didn't seem to matter and we trolled a bit slower today after first 2 hits in the early morning came with speed at the ball of 1.7 and 1.8.  We trolled at 2.4 - 2.7 once all lines were set.

Ran 150 copper, 7 color and 5 color in addition to 2 braid dipseys and 4 riggers.  The only rod that didn't take a hit was Spindoctor/fly on dipsey.  Ran mainly magnum spoons on riggers and copper, standard spoons on cores and one rigger.  Standard and Magnum blue dolphins on riggers took most of the hits.

Once I got home I was able to check my longitudes on a topographical map.  We apparently trolled from 170 - 250 fow with best action in 220-230 range. And, as best I could tell, we were fishing pretty much straight out of the channel all morning.

• Like 6

Wish I had known about your electronics as we were south of you heading your way and could maybe have helped. Its was difficult out there to message you much less call. Nice job on the fish, thanks for the heads up. Hope you get your stuff fixed soon. For some weird reason my Lowrance display went almost dark for a while same day. Come back after I restarted it. Maybe we were in a solar flare or something???