Line Size

What size line for riggers and main lines.  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What size line for riggers and main lines.

• 12 lb.
    • 15 lb.
    • 17 lb.
    • 20 lb
    • 25 lb.

I used to run through over 2 bulk spools of 8 Lb a season w/ clean spoons & plugs. 2 yrs ago I stepped up to 15 (spring & summer) & ended the yr with 20Lb (ran more flashers, also fluro's). Read Dan Keatings book & splurged on some bulk 10Lb & am going to see how long it lasts me this year. (vacations & weekend warrior)

We use 20 lb. Maxima UltraGreen for our riggers and surface planer board rods. We tie a 7 foot leader of 20 lb. Gamma Leader Material for our Flourocarbon leader on our surface planer board rods. We also use 20 lb. Gamma Leader Material for all our sliders, both on the riggers and divers.

I ran Trilene 17 XT for yrs, but I got a deal on some Ande 25 so I gave it a whirl. The 25 didn't seem to have an adverse effect on the # of fish we hooked. I also use my riggers for walleye and run Trilene Big Game 10 for them, and the same for the boards. The reels I use for walleye have 17# backer and about 100 yrds of 10# on top. We seldom get out much more than 100ft of line fishing for eyes.

I run 20lb Ande on my rigger and bird rods for a mainline. Flourocarbon leader on my bird rods. And 25lb Ande on my mono diver rods.

Does anyone run a superbraid on there bird rods?

Are you talking about Yellow Birds when you mentioned "Bird Rods"?

I do use 30# Spiderwire braid on my Low Divers (Dipsys). I use 25# Ande on my High Divers (SlideDivers). I wouldn't change a thing on my Dipsys or SlideDivers. They sure put a lot of fish in the box last year.

20lb Berkley big game on the dowriggers, unless I'm heading walleye fishing, then it's 12lb.

All of my divers have 30# Spiderwire with 30# Berkley big game as backing. Leaders tend to be 20# big game, unless it's early spring or I'm walleye fishing, at which point I'll use 12lb.

Leadcore has 50' of 20# Berkley Big Game as a leader.

I run 8# Maxima Ultragreen for the early browns and 20# Ultrageen for kings in the summer. I fish by myself a lot and have had fish take me around the rigger wire and still, somehow, end up in the cooler with the Maxima.

I run 8# Maxima Ultragreen for the early browns and 20# Ultrageen for kings in the summer. I fish by myself a lot and have had fish take me around the rigger wire and still, somehow, end up in the cooler with the Maxima.

Been there Mark. Last Summer I netted a big King and had the rigger wire wrapped up in the net. It was my grandson's first King fishing trip, and the Salmon were giving him his baptism of fire. What a bear trying to get that mess squared away. Before I could even start to get it untangled, fish on the other side. I always have two nets onboard. Memories are made of this stuff.:)

12lb on the riggers for clean spoons - From Dan Keating. It works well for me and forces you to fight the fish not just drag them in.

30lb PowerPro on the dipsy divers.

I'm going to put two more rigger lines in this year for flasher fishing and they will be greater than 12lb, Dan Keating says 17lb should be enough, I haven't made up my mind yet.

15 lb ANDE on the riggers and surface lines, run 20 lb flourocarbon leaders off of the lead core and swr. 25 lb ANDE on mono dipseys.

I have run Ande, Trilene Big game, Courtland flea flicker. stren. Cajun, and I just put all Ande back on two weeks ago, The big game is ok and the flea flicker works well for what it was designed to do but is junk to run on trolling rods. The big game is ok, and the cajun want bad, But I went back to Ande because If my little study our catches and losses were least with the Ande.

We ran 20lb for the riggers and planer rods, 50lb power pro for the divers. 20lb worked great on browns too.

This year due to the currents in the area we fish and fleas, we are using 25lb pink ande and will splice in 20lb leaders, will also try 15lb too.

I have on reel I am going to spool up with 300 yards of 12 XT, I suspect I will also carry a spool of 12lb big game as back up. The kings all gave us heck on the 20lb. I am not totally sold on light line, except on those clear blue bird days. hence the 12lb rig, will put CPT Dan's book to test.

also new this year, I threw out all the floro. Tried 3 different kinds and it did not hold up as good as regular line sooo, using P-line floro coated line, forgot what it is called, had good luck with that in the past.

You guys have to try using McCoy Mean Green. Its strong and keeps fleas off your line. I ran 25lb test all year long while running paddles and never had a problem putting fishin in the boat. I would go to 15 when running spoons. It isnt very popular on the East coast, but on the west coast it has a lot of followers. The people I have put onto it have all fell in love with it!

I used the Mean Green up in Alaska fishing sockeyes and that stuff is strong! We were putting the heat to those fish in fast water and never broke off even one. I've not seen it at the local (Frankfort/TC) stores though. How is the price on that stuff?

• 2 months later...