Dipsey Long Leads

I've been watching some episodes of Salmon Showdown and I noticed some of the featured boats use exceptionally long leads from their dipsey to the lure/flasher fly/flasher meet rig.  When they try to net a fish they have to hand line in the extra leader length.  Does this really help get more hits?

Thanks

Dan

We switched to slide divers and run 30' leads on our low divers and 50' leads on our high divers. We just can't seem to get flasher/flies on short leads to fire, lengthening the leads with the slide divers solved that problem. I think it allows the flasher to do a larger diameter rotation giving the fly a better action and allowing meat rigs to roll properly at higher trolling speeds allowing you to cover more ground. Our best presentation on divers with short leads has always been glow plugs later in the summer in low light conditions or down really deep, this seems to work well for us on mature Kings so sometimes I'll mix one of those in come August. Oh and Coho's don't seem to care either way. In the early spring.

• Like 2

Checking my email this morning and this topic came up. Long leads has been an interest of mine for quite a while.  As such I developed the LongLiner.  The LongLiner is a free sliding weight carrying device that can be locked on a line at any point making 300 foot leaders easy.  Hooking a fish releases LongLiner into a free slide mode allowing the fish to be netted with a 2 foot primary leader.  See videos, rigging, and the product at www.anglerinnovations.com  Photos below are from Oregon, Lake Superior Ontario, North Carolina.BigWaterSalmonandTroutwithLL.pdf :56acca4e7cf0d_Longlinerwiciupbrown6-15-1Trolling For Large Trout.pdf

LLspringsalmon032510 001.jpg

Limit May 6 2012.JPG

Labor Day 021.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the long leader Dipsy rig I've been using with pretty good results the last 2 years.  You can run as long a lead as you want. 100+ foot leader?-no problem!  Basically you just tie a loop at the end of your braid main line (I use Power Pro Braid) using a simple overhand knot. Then you tie your mono or floro leader (as long as you want) to the end of the loop in your braid.  Using a small S-Biner snap clip that you can find at any hardware store, you clip one end of the S-Biner to the loop in the braid and the other side of the clip to the trigger arm of your Dipsy. That's it. You do NOT tie anything to the swivel on the back side of the Dipsy -where you would normally tie your leader to.  When a fish hits it will trigger the same way they do when you run a short lead.  When you reel the fish in and get to the S-Biner holding the Dipsy on, your net man simply un-clips it from the loop. Then it's just you and the fish!  You just reel the loop up along with your long leader until you get to the fish. This will track straight in the water the same as it does rigged conventionally.  I like this way better than a Slide Diver because you remove it from your line and don't have to deal with divers bouncing around on rods when they aren't being used.  Also no trying to hand line a fish in on long leads.  Enjoy! -5I's 

S-Biner Rig.jpg

• Like 3

That's an interesting idea, would be much easier to deploy the bait and like you said don't have to worry about divers bouncing around on the rods. The only concern I have is I'm struggling to see how the fish hitting the bait would trip the diver in that configuration. It looks like it would just pull on the carabiner in the direction of locking the trip arm into place, or does the bouncing rod trip the arm as it absorbs the shock from the fish hitting? How often have you had to trip the diver by "setting the hook" after you grab the rod with that setup? Interesting idea either way

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman mobile app

Set the trigger release so that any extra pressure on it releases it whether its a fish hitting or you setting the hook. Usually a fish of any size causes your rod to load and pull back and that trips it.  With smaller fish it trips when you set the hook. Test it along side your boat going at trolling speed and set the tension screw so that any extra resistance trips it. 

Edited by 5Walleyes
Added info

15 hours ago, 5Walleyes said:
15 hours ago, 5Walleyes said:

Here's the long leader Dipsy rig I've been using with pretty good results the last 2 years.  You can run as long a lead as you want. 100+ foot leader?-no problem!  Basically you just tie a loop at the end of your braid main line (I use Power Pro Braid) using a simple overhand knot. Then you tie your mono or floro leader (as long as you want) to the end of the loop in your braid.  Using a small S-Biner snap clip that you can find at any hardware store, you clip one end of the S-Biner to the loop in the braid and the other side of the clip to the trigger arm of your Dipsy. That's it. You do NOT tie anything to the swivel on the back side of the Dipsy -where you would normally tie your leader to.  When a fish hits it will trigger the same way they do when you run a short lead.  When you reel the fish in and get to the S-Biner holding the Dipsy on, your net man simply un-clips it from the loop. Then it's just you and the fish!  You just reel the loop up along with your long leader until you get to the fish. This will track straight in the water the same as it does rigged conventionally.  I like this way better than a Slide Diver because you remove it from your line and don't have to deal with divers bouncing around on rods when they aren't being used.  Also no trying to hand line a fish in on long leads.  Enjoy! -5I's 

S-Biner Rig.jpg

This sure would beat handling a big king as long as it releases on the strike.

• 2 weeks later...

I run strictly slide divers to get my long leads and have had great success with it. My wire divers are about 25' lead braid and mono divers anywhere from 25 to 50' depending on how the fish are in water column. The lake is so clear now that the more "stealth" presentation our offer the better.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App