aluminum boat info wanted

coralee

Seriously thinking of getting an aluminum boat and looking for some starting input. Uses: perch, early and late season fishing (including areas with no dock), and to pull longer distances to troll for salmon and or eyes. something that can handle somewhat the big lake and fairly stable to sit and fish. Thinking about 14-16' and wide. 5-10K depending on how much I need to add to get it set up. Any info on what to start looking at and what to stay away from including the outboard? Is oil injected good or bad? Might use inland also. Thanks

I have beat the crap out of my Sea Nymph.  Still doesn't leak a drop.  The older two strokes run forever.  Mine's been in the shop twice in 21 years, once packed full of silt from chasing a crippled duck into no man's land, the other to replace a fitting and tune the carb.

Get enough motor.  You can run bags to slow down but you can't do much to speed up.

I love my 14 but for what you listed a 16 would be better.

I would buy a horrible looking boat that has been left outside way too long. Under $1k. Look over the entire hull and make sure its good. Spend a couple weekends and rip out the wood & replace it. Spend less than $500 to redo it all. Then you're set for 20+ years. Whatever money you got left. Buy a decent motor. 

If you want to go this route. Read the iboats forums. There are tons of completed restorations.

I own a 96 Alumacraft Trophy 18, and can put it in about any body of water there is. Can float it up to shore anywhere. Convert it into a boat to play with the kids, fish crappies/ walleyes/ Salmon in a matter of minutes with tracks for all the goodies. It's more about your trailer when launching in shallow landings. I watch guys with 12' every year having 10 times the trouble I have. I fish Lake Superior, Michigan and many inland lakes and rivers in the same boat, watch weather and you are golden.

46e6ec3dc14802aef4860a1da58de5c9.jpg

e31e11a52ede2d2a22397d9540d17ed2.jpg

Well looks like I'm going to have to change my search to 16-18 instead of 14. So far not much to choose from. Thanks for all the info so far.

The first time the wind kicks up and you find yourself thinking oh Shxt!!!, You will be happy you are in a little bigger boat. I have around 8-9G into mine, with all the goodies, (riggers, air ride seats, electronics, ect) But its paid for and the fish don't care how old it is.