Looking at purchasing a fish finder / gps combo

SS Reaper

• 2 weeks later...

I have the helix 7 and its a pretty nice unit. it has fast processing and a super bright screen. you can see the screen in direct sunlight. but if you have the money I would look at the larger helix models.

another good unit to look at would be the lowrance elite units. the elite 7 hdi with lake insight with a sun cover regular 699.00 on sale for 449.00 and the elite 7 chirp with gps regular 699.00 is on sale for 499.00 at cabelas right now.

Have a Humminbird 1197 and though out of date still enjoy using it. The nice thing about using Humminbird products is that you can call them for assistance/guidance on their 1 - 800 line and no question is a dumb question. Plus Humminbird will still try to service their older units. Lowrance will not ! Leaving you out in the cold. I used to be a long time Lowrance user but never again. I refuse to flush my hard earned money away.

• Like 1

I see you will be fishing mostly inland lakes, a Humminbird  800 or 900 series with a Down image and an 83 200 transducer will work for both. Don't get a 5" screen unit as it is really hard to read. I run a Humminbird 858cdi, and use only the fish finder for my  GPS I use one of Frank's Tough books with chart plotter. Big screens are a lot easier to read. and y9u can really pinpoint  waypoints.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, willfishforfood said:

I played with it in the store for a hour and feel I made the right choice. the 7 has a bigger screen but $200+ more

the 7" screen is well worth the extra money. the 5" is ok but the 7" gives you more time to view whats going on down there. back in the day of the older units I used many ff with small screens but now if I have the money at all to spend on a ff i'll get the largest screen I can afford that will fit on my dash. the helix 7 di gps combo I bought was on sale at cabelas with 10% off and free shipping. so it cost me 449.99 for a 499.99 unit. I would have loved to have had the money for a larger better unit but my budget was limited. so I settled for the helix 7 and am very pleased with my purchase.

• 4 weeks later...

my dash space was limited also, so I bought a ram mount to mount my helix 7. I mounted the mount to the dash then adjusted the mount out past the dash and over to the side of the steering wheel, it works great and I have the larger screen. you will be amazed at how much better the 7" screen is over the 5" screen. if you can exchange the 5 for the 7 you'll be much happier with the 7.

• 2 months later...

The 9 thru 12's are pretty slick.

I have a walk thru & had 2 up front and one on each console.

I just sold my 899 to put a 12 in it's place.

The C/S @ HB is super if you have any problems....

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...