Port sheldon 11/11/2015

6for11 fished 9:30am-noon

The lake was good to us today we got our limit before noon. It was quite bumpy but the 25' white whale did awesome again. We started straight west in 130fow and road the waves north to GH 110 to fow. We had a 45 minute ride back to port sheldon but well worth it. Everything seemed to work that we put out. The dowriggers and ten colors went four times each and coppers went three. SOG was 2.5-3.0 all the way. Even got a nice brown in the mix!

post-6927-14498788333716_thumb.jpg

post-6927-14498788333814_thumb.jpg

very nice. my solo trip out of Holland was a tough one in a 16' boat but did manage 2.

Nice job on the fish.

Good job on the solo trip especially in the 16' boat. Glad you got some. those 3' rollers were tough so we road with them.

Yes i did and it works like a charm. I like the action and different look. my strike and catch ratio has gone up considerably. I will be adding more.

Your spoons are nice. It looks like you slipped a small tube over the flashabou once it was added to the treble and cemented it or did you fly tie it on? Did you add any paint on the spoons themselves?

Your spoons are nice. It looks like you slipped a small tube over the flashabou once it was added to the treble and cemented it or did you fly tie it on? Did you add any paint on the spoons themselves?

Thanks Ed! i love adding my personal touch to lures makes it fun. i also make steelhead plugs and usually fishing them up the rivers very soon and all winter long. my friend gave me access to the white whale so i find myself still on the lake. i did slip the orange tubing over and tied it with the same fishing line that pulled it to the hook eye. same tubing my dad uses to make homemade spinners. i added holloween red nail polish to give it a spooky bloody look.:eek:

Fantastic trip! I will definitely be doctoring some spoons at the fly tying bench this winter. Thanks for sharing that trick.

You find it works on the steelies mainly or do salmon like it too?

Your welcome i hope this works for you and others! Good idea with the fly tying i have a bench and will be using it. Looking back the last salmon i got was two coho october 1st and i was not using this yet. I only have four trips landing 14 steelies and counting using this method. i hope to get out next week and add to this total. I can't say that it works for salmon yet though. Please put some pics up id like to see how this works for you and others.

Your welcome i hope this works for you and others! Good idea with the fly tying i have a bench and will be using it. Looking back the last salmon i got was two coho october 1st and i was not using this yet. I only have four trips landing 14 steelies and counting using this method. i hope to get out next week and add to this total. I can't say that it works for salmon yet though. Please put some pics up id like to see how this works for you and others.

I added a red streamer and copper flashabou to my cyconite spoon. I'll do some other types patterned spoons and see if there is a trend toward the spoon or the pattern on the spoon. Hopefully the winds will die down next week.

post-4038-14498788333918_thumb.jpg

I added a red streamer and copper flashabou to my cyconite spoon. I'll do some other types patterned spoons and see if there is a trend toward the spoon or the pattern on the spoon. Hopefully the winds will die down next week.

nice work ed that looks great! did you tie with red thread? i bet you get more hits. before you let it out watch the action beside the boat make sure the streamer has good kick to it. 2.8sog worked best for me. i think it imitates a bleeding minnow for a easy meal. the streamer definitely adds more contrast also. i sure hope we can get out next week maybe see you out there.:thumb:

very nice ed! you have been busy. i love the different color streamers. that orange one will get crushed. they all will.

Monday is looking good calling for south wind 2' waves. might be my next trip if all is well on the white whale. she got knocked around in that wind storm. the docks and boat had to get secured again yesterday the wind and storm surge was pushing them away.

Besides red I am going to try green and yellow. I am going to buy some good trebles and tie them in the vice and then just switch out the hooks. When I get to it I will post the final product. Hopefully I get to test the theory.

Good i hope the green and yellow produce like the red. let me know what trebles you go with and how you like them with the streamer setup. i cant wait to see pics of you testing the theory. i will post pics again if i get out monday.

very nice ed! you have been busy. i love the different color streamers. that orange one will get crushed. they all will.

Monday is looking good calling for south wind 2' waves. might be my next trip if all is well on the white whale. she got knocked around in that wind storm. the docks and boat had to get secured again yesterday the wind and storm surge was pushing them away.

Are you docked on the southside?

Well all this has got me excited to try and get out again next week but I have Wed and Fri off and the weather doesn't look to hot for Wed. Let me know if you get out if they're still out in 120-140

Edited by coralee
(sp)