Spring cohos?

When I was going to school in Kalamazoo, my buds and I would run over to St.Joe in the spring to fish. We would get cohos, kings,steels, and LT's off the boards.

How far north do the coho get early in the year? My friends went all the way to Indy or Illinois last year to fish 'em and they crushed them. I would like to shorten that trip if I could. I know the run of coho on the Platte River last fall was pathetic...6600 adults before they closed up the weir. I have a weekend planned for the beginning of April; any suggestions for ports? Thanks.

Ive caught them as early as the first week in March in South haven. St.Joe however is a bigger fishery and holds more fish and the dishcharge water from the river emptying into the lake is warmer. It just depends on the winter and how quick the water changes temp. The fish follow the bait fish. find them and you will find the fish. You will generally catch fish anywhere along the shorline this time of year, just more in some ports. Just watch the reports. I would recomend St.Joe

St. Joe one of the better ports in the spring for coho. I have done well out of South Haven also. I limited out one spring day in 45 mintues by myself out of South Haven.

i know you said that you wanted to shorten the trip BUT..... i think it would be well worth your time/gas to keep coming south! i have fished these southern ports for coho for a long time. st. joe is the last southern port to get good, you should look at mich. city, burns ditch or new buffalo. we can keep 5 coho in IN so bring your friends cause when its good we usually have 4-6 limits in two or three hours! my buddy and i fish a lot out of mich city, it takes us 50min to get there and we are usually in the truck longer than in the boat. if you have any questions give me a shout i'll point you in the right direction. we are going fri. 3/9 to cast from the wall at the port of indiana.

p.s. the launches are starting to open up and the lake is WIDE open!!!