Whitefish are Coming!!!!!!

Dan, thanks for that link. I did try it. Over the years I have tried several ACID cures. It's a lot more time consuming that the ole "Boil'em up" method. Drove around 2 of the pier head systems here in the southern basin and the water temps still registering 57* and 58* on the bottom. Those are great temps for summer run steelhead but a bit warm for whites. Another 10*s cooler and it's game on.

Martin

• 2 weeks later...
Hay guys, Could you enlighten me on how to rig for whitefish with egg or waxworm?

When I started fishing for whites I was a “light-line†guy with flimsy rods for stealth and fun. But it didn’t take long to change my approach on whites. 1st. I hate having to net every fish no matter how small it was. Or having to waste time untangling a sinker from the net. Or having to spend time using hemo’s to unhook a gut-hooked fish. Or changing out leaders because of rock/zebra nicks. So I kicked it up several notches. My basic set-up is 4ft x 12# leaders, 1&12-2oz slide sinkers with #6 or #4 hook depending on what type of 3 boiled eggs I’m using on the bottom, King vs Coho and a 10ft medium rod w/ 20# braided main line and I’ll “Lift†a lot of the fish. With the longer leader the fish can gulp the bait and the sinker doesn’t get tangled in the netting, and with the heavier leader most of the time I can just jerk the hook out of the fish. And my rod spread is generally 2 rods w/ boiled eggs, wigglers, leaf worms or wax worms and 1 rod w/ fresh roe on an egg-loop. I've seen so many guys setting the hook that they look like a bass fishermen. You don't have to because with a 4ft leader 99% of the time they will be gut-hooks. And all my reels are “set†bait-runners just in case I hook into one of those pesky steelhead. But that’s just my way. There ain’t no right/wrong way as long as you are out there having fun.

Martin

• 2 weeks later...