Saugatuck pierheads WED 9-30 aft/evening

My 11yr old and my 9yr old and I left lake Mac mid-afternoon today and shot down to Saugatuck with the waves crashing behind us. We were hoping to find some late run mature fish swimming in the cold water out in front of the piers since this run had been so late and strangely different than in years past.

Ended up going 7 for 8 making passes in front of the pierheads. All fishing and action occured in 16-25 FOW. South troll was a piece of cake but north troll was a little tricky with the waves and wind howling.

1st fish - Salmon (actually came on our first pass) - scaley green size 5 jplug - highline 100 feet back on the orange board

2nd fish - Steelhead - mtn dew coyote flasher fly on braid dipsey dialed to 3 with 31 feet of line let out

3rd fish - Brown - chrome red head size 5 jplug - highline 100 feet back on the orange board

4th fish - ???? shook off - moongoose size 5 jplug - highline 100 feet back on the orange board

5th fish - Salmon - blue green spin doctor on braid dipsey dialed to 3 with 34 feet of line let out

6th fish - Brown - chrome red head size 5 jplug - highline 100 feet back on the orange board

7th fish - Salmon - moonshine happee meal with red tail spoon on 4 color

8th fish - Salmon - green ladder size 5 jplug - highline 100 feet back on the orange board (this one was big and fought hard - it was why we went down there - it was about 45min after sunset and we were pulling lines - I had even taken the orange board off this line and was reeling the plug in at a decent clip when all of a sudden out of nowhere the king hit!)

This may have been our last fishing trip for the year. It has been a decent year for us. Even though the salmon count is admittedly down to 25% of what it was in year 2012 for example it was still a blast to be out on the water with the kids. Here is a really good article I found today that summarizes the problems the fishery is facing and the approach being taken by the DNR. This by the way is the article which states that the salmon count this year was indeed down to 25% of what it was previously:

http://www.9news.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/09/30/salmon-population-drops-michigan-great-lakes/73078686/

Anyways, interesting... looking forward to next year whatever it brings! Good luck everyone.

post-5451-14498788323749_thumb.jpg

post-5451-14498788323853_thumb.jpg

post-5451-14498788323942_thumb.jpg

post-5451-1449878832403_thumb.jpg

post-5451-14498788324122_thumb.jpg

post-5451-14498788324236_thumb.jpg

Way to take advantage of a situation!! You could have read the article and stayed home. That is part of the danger with articles like this. I also dont believe the peak of the population was 2012, good fishing maybe but not the best ever. It's all relevant though I sold a newbie a couple old manual riggers and after a few skunks he got 2. Made his season!

Way to go!!! That brown is a hog. Can't wait to get back at it next week. Just gotta find time around work.

I read maybe the same article from wzzm13 yesterday. I know it sucks that salmon sticking is down, but it's better than having it crash. I know a charter captain that is still loading up on lakers for his clients. Steelhead are out in 200's so we might have to adjust our techniques. I love to fish, don't care as much what my target is, just love the sport and I think the DNR is doing what they can with the situation that has been given to them