Downrigger cable?

AllenW

I'm looking at replacing the 150' cable on my 2 cannon Mag 10 riggers, I see 200,300 and 400' cables on sale, any suggestions on length I should look at??

I fish mostly the north shore of Superior, is there a depth maximum I should consider?

It was suggested that 300 foot is max for trout, I don't know?

TIA

al

I don't know why you would ever have to go down 300 for trout on superior. If what you had served you well go with it. Or bump up to 200 ft.

Still new at this, have been getting better, but I see bottom fish at deeper than 150 foot and wonder if I'm missing anything.

Al

If the cost isn't too much more, I'd go with more rather than less. If you only have 150' but see fish at 200' deep, you can't get there if you wanted to. With 300' on the spool you can. Even on Lake Michigan I rarely go over 200' down trolling, but I have caught fish as deep as 270' and with 400' on my riggers I know I can.

Ooooppppsss. Allen I guess I'm too late. Not only should you worry about length but diameter. When fishing deep, say past 90' or so you need to minimize rigger sway back. I use 12lb balls all the time n when I bought my Canon 10 riggers I replaced the cable with .024" diam, 7strand SS wire rope from Mc Master Carr. Think it is only about 7 cents a foot. I think I have 250' on each.

Also, to further reduce swayback we use braided line on the riggers with a 40-50' mono leader. I use Cortland Spectron Blackspot 35# braid. I use this same braid on my dipseys.

My two cents worth.

Ooooppppsss. Allen I guess I'm too late. Not only should you worry about length but diameter. When fishing deep, say past 90' or so you need to minimize rigger sway back. I use 12lb balls all the time n when I bought my Canon 10 riggers I replaced the cable with .024" diam, 7strand SS wire rope from Mc Master Carr. Think it is only about 7 cents a foot. I think I have 250' on each.

Also, to further reduce swayback we use braided line on the riggers with a 40-50' mono leader. I use Cortland Spectron Blackspot 35# braid. I use this same braid on my dipseys.

My two cents worth.

We'll see what happens, I doubt I'll go much past 200 foot, but it was on sale and I got 300 foot for close to the same price.

I might pick up some from Carr, at least for the rigger with the Fish hawk on it, thanks.

I am using either 10# balls or the torpedo style at about 12#'s now, if I start to get to much bow back I'll try the braided line, I have my lead core reels using a braided backer now.

al