FYI

Buddy of mine called me this morning to tell me he and a friend fished the Holland Channel this morning. He said he saw 4 fish caught off the South pier and there were 6 fish caught off the North pier.

He caught a small Coho and lost a King the friend he was fishing with lost 2 Kings.

My kids and I fished the Holland pier for 2 hours this morning and 2 hours this afternoon off our 18ft duck boat. While the water cooled off the bite was miserable honestly. We must have made 30-40 passes and turns and ended up 3 for 5. A couple inside the arms and one outside the arms. Became brutally rough when trolling outside the arms late afternoon. The amount of sailboats and other boat traffic was unbelievable too. We had a big one going on a dipsey for about 20 minutes and those "car boats" were there and rubber-necking and surrounding us as we pulled lines and fought it in the channel and they got so stinkin close to us taking pictures and asking questions that the salmon nearly plowed into the side of one of the cars when it did its 4th run away from the boat. It was a fun day but a sheer battle. I never saw another boat net a salmon. There was no pier bite after 7.30am from what we could tell. Here is a pic of one of the 2 big ones we managed. Bizarre that there were not more fish in there with the lake having turned over... we will see if they are there in the morning...

post-5451-1449878829321_thumb.jpg

Got to watch you land that one. And that was the last salmon we saw. Up to ten rods 44 degree water out front and not a hit. Buddy who is better than I never got hit either.

The waves were quite amusing when we quit at.7:30. Speed control was approximate at best.

Hosted Littleboat from this site. Hope we didn't scare hím too badly.

Setup in front of Holland pier in the dark at 6am. Probably 15-20 other boats out there. It was intense making passes and not getting cut off. Boom - nailed a nice big four year on a happee-meal glow jplug on our rigger north of the pier a tad in about 30 fow at around 6.15am. Did not see anyone else really get em going or net for the duration of the morning. We fished until around 10.30am and threw everything we could think of at em. The water was freezing cold. The water inside the pier all the way back by big red was 55 degrees even. We did manage net three more 4 year olds so we ended up with a total of 4 for the day. 4 for 6 was our score. Photo of the proud kids holding up their catch BELOW. My 9 year old son brought in two of them. My 11 year old daughter brought in the biggest. And the kids and I agreed that I brought in the one that fought the most. Scaley Green size 5 lure jensen jplug they hit 4 times between 8am-9am. The other pig came on a mono dipsey with 44 feet let out dialed on 3.5 with a glow green frog spin doctor and glow fly on it. All of our bites and fish occurred just north of the north pier. While it felt good to bag 4 of them I still say the fishing this fall is ridiculously slow and difficult compared to any other year. I was cheered, however, this evening when my buddy Randy along with a couple other boats reported slaughtering 4 year olds in 50 fow well south of Holland off the sliders. Could it be the kings never got the memo that the lake turned over and are still waiting to come to the pier? Either way this huge warm up and the 6 footers we have coming out of the south the next two days isn't going to help the cause. What's the good word Kevin? Were you out today? My kids and I did watch you and Littleboat drill through those 4-6 footers yesterday and when we passed you in the channel and heard you hadn't even had a bite we knew fishing sucked and it had become futile.

post-5451-14498788293833_thumb.jpg

5-7 sunday morning. 2-4 in the lake and 3-3 in the channel. 4 kings 12-15# and a coho. Set-ups were ace high lucky charms and green lightning on 2 and 3 color, yellow lightning 55 back on wire diver and blu ladderback down 10 on a rigger.