Broken Braid & Down Rigger Cable

I had written this in a report, but didn't get many views or feedback so wanted to mention it here.

Had a good hook up and good strong fish that took a lot of 50# power pro attached to dipsey/flasher/fly off the reel. We got down to 100' back on line counter and then broke off my 50# Power Pro and took all my gear.

Also managed to snap 1 year old cannon downrigger cable with my 12# ball attached. Was ready to set line in blacks release and hit the rigger down just a small amount to get the ball to come closer. Bounced it and splash goes the cannonball and terminal tackle. Very glad it wasn't my rigger with probe and glad I had spares of everything to get back up and running in a few minutes.

Anyone had 50# braid break and/or any tips for identifying weak points?

Anyone had downrigger cable break and/or tips for identifying weak points?

I'm thinking I'll add downrigger snubbers so I don't jolt them like I did and add a little shock absorption. The dipsey also had a snubber behind it, so that one just blew my mind.

You name it , I have broke it off. Had an eye cracked on my braided dipsey rod once and lost two complete rigs before I figured out what was happening. I have bumped up to 65#. I have added snubbers to my riggers and would suggest you do the same. Way less bounce at the boat too. I love them and they help cushion your riggers/rails, tracks, ect. too.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

So if the power pro let go it would most likely be do to the knot slipping through itself.. and as far as checking weak points basically whenever it begins to fray even a bit line should be stripped down some ]

Line was frayed at the tip like a break, but I suppose the tag end of the knot would look that way too. Even that seems odd though, wouldn't the knot be pretty good if it's held all year?

I too had a bad eyelet that broke off on braid.

as far as shock absorber on down rigger - go you add a soft start to the electric motor?

Is that hard to do and/or very intrusive? They are brand new cannon mag 10's, I'm a little hesitant to do much to them.

Line was frayed at the tip like a break, but I suppose the tag end of the knot would look that way too. Even that seems odd though, wouldn't the knot be pretty good if it's held all year?

Have had everything possible break, multiple times.. Just because a knot held yesterday, or last year, means nothing tomorrow. Cable, wire, copper, leadcore, braid, leader, mono...it all breaks. There are often unseen damages or weaknesses created (during knot tying process) or knicks that occur during regular fishing and you never know until it breaks. I budget about $500 a year in lost tackle, cannonballs, planer boards, dipseys, flashers/flies, plugs, etc. We fish alot though :)

Have had everything possible break, multiple times.. Just because a knot held yesterday, or last year, means nothing tomorrow. Cable, wire, copper, leadcore, braid, leader, mono...it all breaks. There are often unseen damages or weaknesses created (during knot tying process) or knicks that occur during regular fishing and you never know until it breaks. I budget about $500 a year in lost tackle, cannonballs, planer boards, dipseys, flashers/flies, plugs, etc. We fish alot though :)

I hope no wives read that last line....lol