South Haven, 8-31-‘15

Once again “Eleanor†and I made another SOLO run out of S/H. But this time we actually caught a fish that wasn’t a Laker, yeah!!!!!. Cleared the Black River at 0600hrs, set a new waypoint and headed S/W. Dropped in at 60fow. DR w/ Green Dolphin down 55’ popped while I was setting my second cu/line. 14# King(HEN) in the boat, 0630hrs, in 65fow. 1st and only fish I fought all morning. Had short-strikes on S/D with grn glo squid, grn tiger j-plug and purple smurf. All hits were between 65-85fow. A lot of arches throughout the water column with bait in the top 10. S/W-N/E troll, 2.3-2.6sog. I am planning on another run at them Thursdays AM with/without my normal fishing friends so I might be looking for a crew. Fishing just 3 rods is a major handy cap here in the southern basin.

Martin

Martin, It's hard to imagine how that would go solo.

TGL

Steve

Actually Steve, it's real easy. 1st, the handle is 8ft long and stored vertically against the arch. The hoop has a keeper string that keeps the net tight to the hoop until the fish is in it. Never net a HOT fish. And last but not least, between trolling and pier fishing I've got over 20yrs of practice doing it myself.

Martin

Nice catch. I wish solo all the time. Alot tougher with that three rod presentation. When my wife joins me and I have a six rod presentation, it's like CHRISTMAS! Until then it's like a bunch of single packages or the door bell is rung and no one is there?

Well done. Hoping to be out there this afternoon/evening. I almost always fish solo and landing fish is no problem. Biggest thing to master is boat control, after that it's easy. Have landed many solo doubles on kings and most memorable was about 10 years ago landed a solo triple on kings from 16 to 18 pounds.