Great conditions on lake before storm rolled in late.

Big Willow by launch partially fell on guard shack & they were cutting it down when we launched, blocking the entrance.

Still No lights anywhere functioning at launch.

Fished 6-9:30

7 hits between 8-9:15

300 Cu plug (white bottom, blue on top, 30 years old...) - 1 for 2. Short/Fat Coho, full belly alewives....

225 Cu plug (white) 0 for 2

5 color w/ plug (silver) 0 for 1

Mixed Veggie Spoon on a DR slider probably 20 ft down. 0 for 1

Orange/Green Glow Flounder Pounder spoon took 12lb King on DR slider.

King was also full of bait fish...

I guess I need to sharpen some hooks. Still fun to have action that fast w/ 12 yr old son.

105-115fow a little north of port. 1.8-2.5 sog.

Do you use snubbers? I swear by them. No matter what rigging I'm using, whether SWR, dipsies, meat rigs, spoons, rotators and flies...any rigging...I always have snubber in the set-up. Some guys laugh at it, but I swear I get better hook-ups with them. Most outing we land every hit. Last year we had a streak of going 39 for 41. So I swear by them. Works for me, and I'm sticking to it.

I use snubbers w/ the Dipsey's when I run them, which I did not last night. Good suggestion. My land percentage is usually pretty good, just a lot less hits than last night (2-4 hits per trip max). If this becomes a trend, I will try adding snubbers. Thanks!

How long is the length on your slider for the DR? How you keep them from getting tangled up when you reel them in?

Maybe 6 feet for slider, although I improvised the other day and just used a 24" leader (swivel snaps on either end) and that is what I caught the king on... The slider simply stops at the lower bait and if no fish is on there usually is no tangle at all. Sometimes all the flopping of a fish might cause a little tangle to be undone after netting, but worth it. Especially when fishing alone or just two people, it is worth it to get a couple extra baits in the higher water.

Maybe 6 feet for slider, although I improvised the other day and just used a 24" leader (swivel snaps on either end) and that is what I caught the king on... The slider simply stops at the lower bait and if no fish is on there usually is no tangle at all. Sometimes all the flopping of a fish might cause a little tangle to be undone after netting, but worth it. Especially when fishing alone or just two people, it is worth it to get a couple extra baits in the higher water.

I like the idea of a 2' leader. I used a 4' before, but it became so tangled even with a swivels at each end, I stopped using a slider. I'll a try a shorter one. You need every bait down, especially when fishing with just 3 rods. Thanks.

Put a free slider on last WE, 5 Ft. Swivel on lure end, simple snap on other. Not more than a minute later the rod fires. 9.6# steelie. Always worth a try.

Always try to toss the spoon away from boat, you will see spoon start wobbling as it goes down. Still get occasional wrap up. Doesn't seem to work well on braided down riggers, but I use mono anyway, but have tried it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Go to the 7:00min mark in this seminar and there's a good explanation of how Best Chance in Saugatuck runs their sliders as a fixed rig with OR19 releases to improve their hook ups. They also show a good trick for untangling the line if the slider gets wrapped up while fighting a fish on the bottom bait. We typically run our sliders fixed as well so that we know the exact depth we're targeting with the bait, although I've just been half hitching a rubber band on the line where I want to put it up to this point. I plan on switching over to using the OR19's though so I don't have to break a rubber band off every time I take the slider off.

https://vimeo.com/21682857