Port Sheldon 8/15AM in the oversized 1' waves

Could not seem to connect today; 0 for 4.

I've been trying sliders on downriggers for the first time this year and while I'm getting hits on them, my landing percentage is getting worse instead of better. My hooks are all freshly sharpened and I'm setting the hook after reeling in the slack, but not staying buttoned.

All in 100-120, on north troll ~2.6 SOG

2 hits on moonshine glow striker sized spoon stacked at ~55 down

1 hit on white ace hi plug at 65 down

1 hit on blue dolphin, actually when reeling in to change lures

Had no hits on south trolls into the waves

I wish I hadn't read this- for some reason we have landed a very high percentage of slider fish, go figure. Can definitely see how it could be trouble, but at least it's a fish you might not have had a chance at otherwise. Love the free slider!

Your down rigger cable is basically straight to the ball. Your mono line has a bow by the nature of trolling speed. That free slider ends up just hanging out in the middle at that bow in the line. I only run free sliders with spoons or plugs, never with flasher fly...that can become a cluster mess really quick. I also only do it when it's a little slower fishing. If action is steady I don't bother

Your down rigger cable is basically straight to the ball. Your mono line has a bow by the nature of trolling speed. That free slider ends up just hanging out in the middle at that bow in the line. I only run free sliders with spoons or plugs, never with flasher fly...that can become a cluster mess really quick. I also only do it when it's a little slower fishing. If action is steady I don't bother

I get how they stay separated while running. It's the release part when, the line starts to straighten out, that gets me. Seems like that's the point were things would start tangling up.

Here's what I do:

1) (just added this after a break off yesterday, as yet unproven to be better)

- Slide a bead above your swivel so the slider has something to hit against instead of just swivel to swivel. I think not having the bead might have caused my break off.

2) Set the main downrigger bait just like normal.

I might run a paddle & fly, spoon, plug, whatever just like normal

3) Lower the rigger ~20' down, or whatever separation you are aiming for

4) I tie a rubber band onto the Mainline. Loop the band through itself and pull snug, then break or cut off the excess rubber band loop so it is just a knot of rubber band on the mainline.

The idea here is that the free slider is not going to slide past that 'bump' in the line formed by the rubber band...meaning, the slider is going to be at that depth separation, eg, 20' above the mainline.

If you do not do this, the slider is going to end up in the 'belly' of the line ~ 1/2 way between the downrigger ball and the rod. I like more control and take the extra step.

5) I use a 7' leader with a swivel on each end for the slider. bait on one end, other end clips on your line - below - the rubber band knot.

The length should be at or less than your rod lenght, or, like with dipsy's you could have trouble reaching the fish when netting.

Just toss the bait in the water behind the main line.

6) Lower your rigger to the desired depth.

So here if the rigger was set to 70, the free slider would be at about 50.

I can usually tell when a fish hit the slider vs the rigger because the rod bounces vs 'pop's of the rigger.

Sometimes it still releases, but sometimes you have to pop the release, then, reel in the slack and set the hook.

I'm definitely getting more hits in total using the free sliders, but landing them...well...hmm...yesterday was not so good.

I usually run spoons on the slider and have never had a real 'mess' after landing a fish, even when using a paddle on the main line. With the paddles...yep, a number of twists to untwist, but with a spoon or plug, no trouble.

My breakoff yesterday was with a spoon above a plug.

Set a hook on my you get yelled at. Do it again you aren't coming back out. By the time that rod moves the book is as buried as it is going to be and all you are doing is pulling it out.

Had a massive steel ride the line up. Guy stops reeling turns around and says "gone" just as the fish dives. Rod is laid over the transom. Snapped like a spaghetti noodle.

Set you rods so you can reel with them in the holders. When a rigger fires, reel like mad until the rod tip buries or the luře is out of the water. Then pick up the rod.