Please pay attention to the small guys

I am slowly getting back into salmon fishing after a couple years of hiatus and am very frustrated with large boats trying to run me over. I was fishing out of St joe this morning and had a pleasure boat and two charter boats run across my stern close enough that I could read boat names as they went by. Am I supposed to pull lines and get out of their way because my boat is tiny and I happen to be fishing in their way? Sorry for the rant, I'm better now

Some of the guys with big boats think is funny to scare the little boats. Others have no clue on how big of a wake they make or what it is like to be in a small boat.

Small boats can be hard to see at times. It could be the other boats don't see you until they get close.

So how close were they? The graphics on my boat could be read from a couple hundred feet and there are conditions that may cause me to be at about that distance although my target minimum would be about 100 yards and prefer to pass much farther. I'm just guessing you probably think that 100 yard number is too close.

I've been on both sides of this fence as a cruiser and a troller. I can site you an example where it is difficult to pass everyone with a distance that everyone would find acceptable. At Big Sable Point north of Ludington, it is not uncommon to find boats trolling in all directions for a couple miles distance in anywhere from 30' to 300' feet of water. Because that is a point, it is normal to expect a cruiser to run near shore at that location. The same holds true for Little Point Sable as well as Point Betsie. In those locations, I try to pick the best course and do some weaving through the "fleet" because I understand that there are all kinds of lines away from a boat and it's uncomfortable to be rocked, but I've seen a few guys that I suspect weren't the most pleased at my route choice. I was asked one time, why don't I go 5 miles offshore and cruise there? It's a valid question but in essence I don't like the visit to the fuel dock any more than anyone else so I chart straight line legs to a cruise and adjust as necessary to conditions encountered along the route. Unless I fully come down to a no wake speed, my cruise wake is probably my best condition when passing others. If a port entrance is crowded, I will wait to power up until I am well clear of the harbor and come off plane well before entering a congested area. That's not the case with a lot of guys big boats and small. They don't come off plane until they enter the harbor and some a little later than that. I think that is a bit of a "show off" thing for the audience on the piers.

So that's my thoughts in reply to your rant. There's a line between sharing the water with lots of different kinds and sizes of boats and operating in a hazardous manner. I'd have to be there to know which it was.

No question every skipper on the lake isn't an angel. There are a few devils in the group.

Play dough I'll second that thought line , many times I'm forced to split the pair , thread the needle or even come as close as 100 yards , and I'm also a troller too. 50,70,90,110,150,200FOW it doesn't matter there's always some getting a good look at the name of my boat when fishing , and I am one of the most courteous Captains on the Great Lakes , I come in at trolling speeds and go out to deep water before I throttle up the twins of torque . That said I'm sure the Kayaker in white hall does like me at all as he decide to paddle down the middle of the channel 2 weeks ago , everyone just needs to settle down and take a nap .

Boltman

Love boater courtesy, but in a small boat you need to be defensive as well.

The pic below occurred on 07-06-05 out of Whitehall. I watched the cruiser approach me from the stern on an apparent collision course. I tried hailing on the VHF, I stood up & waved my arms, but in the end I had to hit the throttle & make a Crazy Ivan turn to avoid this idiot. The wake was fun to deal with.

To avoid any possible issues with other trollers & the pier/surf folks, I've been bringing along a laser range finder to verify distances as "eyeballing" separation can be very deceiving.

post-5183-14498788275347_thumb.jpg

post-5183-14498788275543_thumb.jpg

I fish in 14 and 17.5ft. regulary, and i deal with the guys on plain running by, dont like it but it happens. What i hate more is how you get no respect while your trolling, if your in a small boat it doesnt matter if they turn right into your spread with theres, its your fault they feal like you dont know what your doing because your not in a big boat. And you should turn for them. Unbeleivable how some charters have cut me off 2 litterally took coppers from me when i had been going straight line same direction as evryone and they trun right across you, 1 out of GH imparticular, and one out of saug. act like they own the lake. Or there the worst drivers ever...:confused:

Wat's really funny is when you hook up a couple times, then they see you just fine,.....

Had 2 big boats following me around last time out, but I don't care when they are behind me, ha ha

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Wat's really funny is when you hook up a couple times, then they see you just fine,.....

Had 2 big boats following me around last time out, but I don't care when they are behind me, ha ha

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That's the truth, I lost a decent salmon right at the boat and all of a sudden 3 boats fighting to get in behind me

You can fish behind me áll you want. I already got those fish.

I got bullied hard by a charter in front of Holland last year when maybe five of us were at the piers. He told me that charters set the trolling pattern and we have to fall in with them. Guess his clients got sick of watching us land four fish to their nőne. The last time i had to crazy iván éven though he was stand by i finally told hím that his gel coat cost more than my boat and i was done turning.