3 for 7

Headed straight out at 4:00pm to 80' headed SW to 130'. First fish in 122' then pretty steady action for an hour or so. worked SW and NE until 8:00pm in 125' - 135' 6 rod spread. meat and spoons

DR - 47 down with woody woodpecker mag spoon 1 for 3 - Steelhead

DR w/ SWR - 37 down with wonderbread reg. size spoon 1 for 2 - 11lb. King

300 copper(45lb) with Blue dolphin mag spoon 1 for 1 - Steelhead

Wire diver 150' back green gasoline meat rig 0 for 1

Great night with the wife :thumb:

th_0809151947j_zpsu6oiox3j.jpg

Can someone tell me what SWR stands for?

Secret Weapon Rig -- short (1, 2, 3 color) segment of leadcore run off of a a low downrigger. The leadcore runs a few feet under the downrigger ball and 60 to 100' back as a stealth approach. Because it runs below and sinks even more on turns, it generally is run on the lowest downrigger. Can run two but need to have horizontal separation between the riggers.

Got the name when my buddy Dave Mull teased the technique on the GLA website as the name for an upcoming article in the magazine about 12 years ago. It go shortened to SWR. It works, so the name stuck. :)

I rigged up a 30 Cu to run as my SWR and it was the hot pole for me on Saturday. I ran the ball at the top of the thermocline and tolled a green paddle with a meat rig. On Saturday morning that set up took 2 of our 3 hits. For the evening that setup took 2 of our 6 hits. Thanks for the tip guys. It put some fish in the box for me this weekend.

I rigged up a 30 Cu to run as my SWR and it was the hot pole for me on Saturday. I ran the ball at the top of the thermocline and tolled a green paddle with a meat rig. On Saturday morning that set up took 2 of our 3 hits. For the evening that setup took 2 of our 6 hits. Thanks for the tip guys. It put some fish in the box for me this weekend.

Did you have anything else with a meat rig on it that took a hit?

My Saturday morning was pretty poor. We ran a 12 rod spread of meat, spoons, plugs and flies. We did a N/S troll most of the morning and that was our mistake I think. I was afraid of getting the kids sick if we trolled E/W. They ended up getting sick anyway so we pulled lines before trying it. But in the morning, we did catch a 12 # king on a 200 Cu with a big blue paddle and meat right. So only meat hits for me Saturday morning.

Saturday night meat took 4 of our 6 hits.

My Saturday morning was pretty poor. We ran a 12 rod spread of meat, spoons, plugs and flies. We did a N/S troll most of the morning and that was our mistake I think. I was afraid of getting the kids sick if we trolled E/W. They ended up getting sick anyway so we pulled lines before trying it. But in the morning, we did catch a 12 # king on a 200 Cu with a big blue paddle and meat right. So only meat hits for me Saturday morning.

Saturday night meat took 4 of our 6 hits.

How big is your boat? Did the kids go with you after that?

The main part the boat is 25'. With the bow pulpit and swim platform it's LOA is 30'. It's a Proline 251. I've attached a picture from when I bought it, before I put my fishing gear on it.

My 7 year old went with me in the AM and PM and was fine both trips. The other kids didn't come Saturday night. I think it just affects some people more than others.

post-6146-14498788271403_thumb.jpg