Looking for Information

I'm Looking for a little advice. I have a 18' Triton and rigged it up with four rod holders and run 4 dipseys off the back. Last year was first year doing this and made 4 trips out of Muskegon. I ran last year on two rods flashers and flies and on two rods couple spoons. In time I may get a rigger or two, but for now this is what I have. Should I consider running some copper? I have to travel about 65 miles one way just to fish and just looking for some help to make it a little more successful.

Last year out of Muskegon I went 2/8 the two being Coho's. I did have a couple of King's on but line broke and I think it was my drag not being set right.

Running 50# fireline with 20# mono as leaders.

Any advice would be appreciated. Well except for just stay home...cause I enjoy being out there hooked up or not.

Thanks!

Start with a 45# copper 300. Its the most popular. It catches a lot of fish.

After that, I'd also pick up a cheap downrigger 2nd hand. We only run 1 rigger. Its by far the best rod to catch fish on because its just you and the fish. They're not the hottest rod but when you get one on it. Its great.

Then i'd switch one of your dipsys over to a wire dipsy.

After that i'd just do what works best for you. If the wire dipsy works really well, add another. If the copper is best. add more coppers. etc etc.

I would assume your using snubbers on all your divers but personally this time of year i am running 40lb leaders with flashers/flies 30lb with a spoon or plug. Divers take some violent hits most times and in my opinion i havnt noticed a decrease on hits using heavier leaders. Just a thought for you

Yes I am running snubbers of the divers. Sorry forgot to add that.

I also planning of increasing the leader # up also...

I am going to try copper and see what happens.

I hope to get out in next couple days but not sure on how well the wind is going to cooperate.

Thanks fellas!!

add 2 more rod holders and you can run a full 2 man spread, i fish a 14 and have had 9 rods in before and could run more if i had room for more people. I personally say forget the rigger and get some planer boards and copper or lead rods to go along with dipseys. I start with 4 boards and 2 dipseys if dipseys are hot ill pull a board or 2 and put more dipseys out.

Agree with some the other gents on here. Might be cheaper to start with some copper or lead lines and planer boards. Makes for a nice spread too. I have 4 riggers on my boat and rarely use the 3rd and have never run 4. Most bites are coming from the heavy lines and dipsys, but the rigger does get the big ones!

Ditto on the cud a weights they work good. I run both Dipsey Divers and Slide Divers Lite Bites on 50lb Power Pro, I personally prefer the slide divers they are easy to set, you can let out as much or as little leader length as you want between the diver and bait, and they trip nice when hit or when you want to release them.

For what it's worth, I often fish solo with three rods and prefer to run two riggers. That way I fish five lures (sliders on the riggers) and cover a much bigger portion of the water column. The third rod is copper, lead, flat line, or a diver dependent on how deep the fish are. The riggers are by far the most productive for me. Was 3 for 3 Thursday night (solo) and 5 for 7 (solo) last night with all hits both nights on riggers.

Thanks guys for all the info. I am hoping to get out sometime soon. Seems a little slow or at least not many reports out of Muskegon. I picked up some gear the other day and going to try some of the helpful hints.

Just need the lake to lay down a little.

Coppers man 300 or 200 catches lots of fish also try using a 20lb flourocarbon leader on your dipseys instead of mono i have never broke a 20lb flouro leader unless it was human error also have your drag rather loose on divers because they do take violent strikes. Also you cant go wrong with meat rigs they catch lots of fish on divers or your 300 copper. For instance i fish out of a 17ft tracker and i run 2 riggers wire divers and braid divers on each side and 4 long lines, long lines and divers by far catch the most fish in my perspective but riggers still are something to look into, hope this helps and good luck!

Coppers man 300 or 200 catches lots of fish also try using a 20lb flourocarbon leader on your dipseys instead of mono i have never broke a 20lb flouro leader unless it was human error also have your drag rather loose on divers because they do take violent strikes. Also you cant go wrong with meat rigs they catch lots of fish on divers or your 300 copper. For instance i fish out of a 17ft tracker and i run 2 riggers wire divers and braid divers on each side and 4 long lines, long lines and divers by far catch the most fish in my perspective but riggers still are something to look into, hope this helps and good luck!

Ditto

I don't know about 300 of 45lb being the best choice. 32lb is much easier to work with and 225ft of 32 is my most productive rod year round. 300 of 45 deff has it's place, especially when the bite is slow. I would get at least two coppers and make sure your dipsey leaders are at least 12-15 ft. I made the mistake of running mine too short for a while. Torpedo or drop weights are a good method if you don't have riggers.

I am wondering if the leaders you are talking about are to your spin doctors or whatever spinnie you choose I am hestitant to use 20lbs flouro and loose 20 bucks worth of gear does floro increase your catch rates that significantlly?

Some of the best information out there is in Dan Keating's book Keating on Kings. Highly recommend that you look into that. Also Ken Neidlinger made a couple of videos, they are really good for how to looks at fishing all of the species. Not sure if his videos are still available but they were made back in the 80's.

you may not need riggers but they are a great tool for catching big kings. I used manual used riggers for many yrs and they caught fish for me. now I fish erie for walleye and have 2 electric riggers I use. you can find some great buys on used riggers on ebay. I have seen a lot of used manual riggers sell for 200.00 for a pair of big jons. and have seen some good buys on electric ones. I have 2 big jon pro tournament riggers I bought on auction new for 525.00 plus 35.00 for shipping. but that was 4 or 5 yrs ago. now they put a reserve on them so you have to meet the reserve to get them.