Tx-44 question

Lost a 400 copper yesterday and I'm not sure how. Here's the scenerio. 400 ft #45 copper with 30lb bloodrun mono backer. Trolling along yesterday and look and the rod is hanging limp. The mono backer broke right where the line goes behind the pin on the back of the board. The end of the mono where it broke appeared to be worn. Anybody else have this happen? It was a tight 2 ft chop could that have caused the line to rub on the pin and weaken it? My board is set up with the lockjaw release and I have a metal pin in the back. I don't run the big boards very often but I've never had a issue up to this point.

I had the 400 on a okuma cv 55. I went with mono because with the reel capacity even with 400 ft of copper i would have had a a##load of braid. I run offshore's for my small boards with no problem.

Yep the small boards don't compare to the 44s . I would rather have a ass load of braid than lose copper- you didn't save any money

if that was the case though and it was the only reel I had , well 2 ideas . Attach the copper to braid then let the braid go to mono. Wrap some tape around the spool to cut down the capacity then use all braid. No matter what I think you have your answer - no more mono immediately behind what is hooked to a magnum size board.

I've had braid brake with lead and copper. If you use a piece of heavy mono between the braid and copper/lead you will see the wear developing. Install a piece if mono big enough to be able to trim off the worn spot from time to time. With the braid you won't see the wear until it's a frayed end.

I agree with Gnarf. Had the plastic pins on my Walleye boards get grooves in them after a couple years of use. Didn't loose anything, but I could see either the pin getting sawed through or the line getting caught in the pin.

Replaced them all with the metal pins from Calumet Marine. I'm pretty sure that Frank have a TX44 version too.