Looking to get ratchet rod holders

Looking for 2 per side they can be mounted together or seperate. My main question is what's avaliable that will be strong enough to handle dipsey getting smashed by a king without costing a fortune. I see big Jon, berts, tite lok all have versions obvious price differences. Will the low priced stuff like tite lok handle that? Also are there some less common brands that sell good stuff that are worth liking into? Will consider used stuff if someone has anything.

I love my single axis cannon holders. I like the side to side adjustment on the single axis. they have an oval base and can be turned just a little or up to 70 degrees from side to side. the double axis has a square base and turns from one pin hole to the next. but they are both awesome rod holders. there about 85.00 each at amazon.com.

I would take a serious look at trax tech if you want strong ratcheting rod holders. I now have trax tech along the gunnel and cannon on my down rigger, love both of them. Cannon can be operated with one hand. Either one of these are great, see what the price comparison is. I had Berts for years because the price was better, now I believe thet are all pretty close. Bert's weren't near the quality of trax tech or Cannon.

I would take a serious look at trax tech if you want strong ratcheting rod holders. I now have trax tech along the gunnel and cannon on my down rigger, love both of them. Cannon can be operated with one hand. Either one of these are great, see what the price comparison is. I had Berts for years because the price was better, now I believe thet are all pretty close. Bert's weren't near the quality of trax tech or Cannon.

if I was buying new holders I think I would buy the trax tech holders. they have 17 adjustments up and down, this would be great for spacing rods when running divers. but the cannons are 85.00 and the trax tech are around 125.00.

I have Berts on one boat and Cannons on the other. I like them both. I do like the one hand adjustment of the Cannons a little better. I used to move the rod holders from boat to boat but got a steel on the cannons. Good decision on my part.

I'm liking the cannon single but for 15 extra dollars duels may be an option. Are either of those mountable with out tracks?

If I have to get tracks I may go with single.

It's not my boat the owner will make the end decision I'm the freind who is helping him get the boat rigged. He is a perch guy with no salmon experiance and I'm a novice mainly helping rig and run lines and catch fish with a few buddy's on their boats for about two years now. Used to 18 foot aluminum boats and I'm in heaven fishing on a much much bigger boat ! Got some learning to do

Great Lakes duel holders are the best for divers. The unique thing about them is they will lock in position you set them at, usually pointed parallel to the water off the gunnel but when a fish hits, you can grab the rod, pull up and the holder will release and come up with your rod and you can pull it out of the holder in a more upright position rather then having to lean way out of the boat to get the rod out of the holder. It was really nice when we had big kings of years past making a screaming run at the hit. They are also built super solid. They are not cheap but they are the best.

http://www.greatlakesholders.com/products-page

I'm liking the cannon single but for 15 extra dollars duels may be an option. Are either of those mountable with out tracks?

If I have to get tracks I may go with single.

It's not my boat the owner will make the end decision I'm the freind who is helping him get the boat rigged. He is a perch guy with no salmon experiance and I'm a novice mainly helping rig and run lines and catch fish with a few buddy's on their boats for about two years now. Used to 18 foot aluminum boats and I'm in heaven fishing on a much much bigger boat ! Got some learning to do

you probably could mount them without tracks by bolting them through the gunnel but you'll be much better off using tracks.

the cannon has 6 locking positions up and down. just set them where you want them then to ratchet them up just grab the rod and lift to the upright position and lift your rod out. no more leaning over the boat to get your rod out when a fish strikes. and right now the double axis is 83.88 and the single axis is 84.99 at amazon.com. so the double axis is cheaper than the single axis. but if you have the extra money I would still look at the trax tech holders they have 17 locking positions for up and down. that would really be nice for setting rods when using dipsy type divers. set the back rod at the horizontal position then raise the next rod up a notch or 2 to separate the rods. the trax tech holders goes 2 notches below horizontal then has 14 notches above 90 degrees. they are priced 124.99 at traxtech.com. but you might find them cheaper by doing a search on line.

Big Jon, Bert's, Cannon, and Traxstech all offer good ratcheting rod holders and will work well with divers. Tite-Lok's don't ratchet but are strong enough to use with divers.

I have had both Cannon and Traxstech. The Cannons are nice and I especially liked the single handed adjustment. What I didn't like was that there were only 6 up/down adjustment positions and none of them were "just right" for running divers on my boat -- close but not just right. I had the dual axis version but no real advantage over the single axis -- just different -- when I got the dual axis, I assumed that single axis meant that it didn't adjust side to side... I was wrong.

In 2013 I changed to the Traxstech when they were brought out. They are VERY smooth and have 13 up/down adjustments. They let me get the exact position I want for the low and high divers. :) The base is the same as the Cannon single axis and allow for ~140* left/right adjustment. They take two hands to adjust and that is the only down side in my opinion. Top quality like all of Jeff's products. Started with 6 and I now have 12 of them.

Any of the ratcheting models from any manufacture are better than the non ratcheting since it is much easier to get the rod out with a fish on than a non-ratcheting.

Edited by SeaCatMich

Magnum Metalz has singles that are excellent and strong. Just mounted two and am pleased. Reasonably priced. Check them out.

are these ratchet holders? there is a big difference between a stationary rod holder and a ratcheting rod holder. the cannon can be adjusted up and down with one hand and has 6 locking positions and can be raised to the upright position by grabbing the rod and ratcheting the holder to the upright position. the traxtech holders takes both hands to adjust them down but has 17 locking positions and can be raised by grabbing the rod and lifting up to the vertical position. and both the cannon and traxtech have an oval base and can be adjusted from side to side 90 degrees.

are these ratchet holders? there is a big difference between a stationary rod holder and a ratcheting rod holder. the cannon can be adjusted up and down with one hand and has 6 locking positions and can be raised to the upright position by grabbing the rod and ratcheting the holder to the upright position. the traxtech holders takes both hands to adjust them down but has 17 locking positions and can be raised by grabbing the rod and lifting up to the vertical position. and both the cannon and traxtech have an oval base and can be adjusted from side to side 90 degrees.

It can be rotated 360 and has 5 locking positions. Can change up and down by two hands or if rod in holder, one on the rod pulled backward, the hand pushing the tube backward. There is a good vid on their website.

It can be rotated 360 and has 5 locking positions. Can change up and down by two hands or if rod in holder, one on the rod pulled backward, the hand pushing the tube backward. There is a good vid on their website.

I watched the video and they are not ratcheting rod holders. they have to be manually pushed to the side to adjust them to the up position. with the cannon traxtech holders you just grab your rod and lift up and the holder ratchets up. but the magnum holders does look like solid made rod holders.

I watched the video and they are not ratcheting rod holders. they have to be manually pushed to the side to adjust them to the up position. with the cannon traxtech holders you just grab your rod and lift up and the holder ratchets up. but the magnum holders does look like solid made rod holders.

I guess I misunderstood "ratchet". Apologize. I found it quite easy to raise/lower position with the rod loaded......and yes they are solid.

The Ratcheting holders shine after the bite. SO much easier to just lift the rod out, than it is lean out and pull it out with a big king going nuts. Once you have them there is no way you would EVER, go back.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Traxstech hands down. Super smooth, easy to pull them up, and far more locking positions that Berts, Cannon or Big Jon.

have to agree on the traxtech holders. they are the best ratchet holders better than cannon berts or big jon. it just depends on how much money you have to spend. the cannons are around 84.00 at amazon and the traxtech are around 125.00 at traxtech.com. if I was buying now I would buy the traxtech but I have 10 of the cannon holders now. if I could sell all of mine for what I paid I would sell them and buy traxtech. the traxtech holders are worth the extra money. but they didn't have them when I bought the cannon. and the cannon are still great holders and I still love them.

• 2 weeks later...

We run the Great Lakes holders/stinger holders (same thing) and love them not exactly a ratcheting but great diver holders! About $80 each online. They have be adjusted at any spot instead of just the set grooves on ratcheting holders. Give them a look! Plus American

post-5299-14498788275136_thumb.jpg