Leadcore backing.

I'm going to put a 3 color and a 5 color in the boat just in case. I already have a 10 color that is the ready core with the dacron backing. The 3&5 color leadcores I was thinking of putting them on 2 of my rigger rods that have 17# mono. But am I asking for break offs? I will probably only use the 3 color for Atlantics with a possible king getting on there. And I was thinking of going with a 12# leader on the 3 color for the Atlantics and a 17# leader for the 5 color.

Also with the 3&5 colors how much backing behind the board do I let out? I usually only let out about 30' with the 10 colors (is that alright to).

In my opinion it makes no real difference how much backing you put out behind the board as long as your not hooking to the core itself so you don't get any kinks or break the lead. I don't use in lines though I use boom style with large planer boards. Mostly because I like the feel of fighting the fish free of any board. Also, I use Dacron backing, the water that is absorbed into the Dacron cover on the lead core will soak into the mono and weaken it over time.

Assuming you have reels with a good drag and you set your reel's drag to let the fish run you shouldn't have any issues with that backing.

Once the leadcore/backing knot is at the end of the rod I hold the rod at about a 45* angle and continue to let line out until the knot is in the water. Then I put the board on. The reason for this is so the leadcore (or copper) is not out of the water when I take the board off when fighting a fish. It will get you a little more depth for the weighted line too.

Yes I use mono leaders but I use Dacron backing. You're right if you let out more backing you will get you lead core down deeper. Depending on your speed and bait you should be able to get around 5 to 7' deeper if you let out 30' of backing then hook up your boards, instead of hooking your boards up as soon as you get on to your backing.