Wanting to slow down boat?

I have a 221 Starcraft Islander and I would like to use it for walleye but using the 2 trolling bags I already have I can only get the speed down to 1.6mph. I would like to get it down to at least 1.1mph for trolling crawler harnesses. Putting a kicker on is not an option because I would like to use the boat on the 30th.

Any ideas. I don't want to stress the engine to much. Not sure if one or two more bags would help and not stress the engine.

I don't think you need to worry about stressing the engine. If its going fast enough that you need to slow it down I think you could pile weight on and or pull bigger bags and not worry. Start by posting what size motor and bags you are running. If nobody thinks just going to a bigger bag would help then you need to experiment. I thing one more may do it. See what the cool kids say and report back what worked.

I don't think you need to worry about stressing the engine. If its going fast enough that you need to slow it down I think you could pile weight on and or pull bigger bags and not worry. Start by posting what size motor and bags you are running. If nobody thinks just going to a bigger bag would help then you need to experiment. I thing one more may do it. See what the cool kids say and report back what worked.

What he said:thumb: I have the same boat and used 2 36 inch bags to get down to .9 to 1.2.

It has the 185hp 4.3 with a 14X19 alum prop

The boat has the 205 4.3L 4 barrel carb. My boat mechanic says not to put anymore stress on engine that it might ruin the coupler in the drive and have to have the drive taken off and checked before I fish again.Not sure what bags I have they came with the boat. How do I get the right measurement on tbe bags?

If idling the engine is bad you better not put it under any load. Getting up on plane to run will put 100 x the strain to your engine, shaft, ect. If an Xtra bag is hurting your engine then it's already done for.

How many RPMs are you running with the current bags to get down to the 1.6 mph?

Bags are sized by the diameter of the biggest opening. Lay it out flat on the ground and measure across at the big end.

A second set of bags will slow you down more but getting a pair of them the right size would be better and not cost much more. It would be a lot less cluttered as well.

How/Where are you running the bags at? Typically they run at mid ship. Mine are connected off the front cleats with a line running off the back of the bag to the midship cleat. Too far back on the boat will not slow it down as much since the bow is not forced down into the water as much. This also helps stabilize the boat in a chop for a better ride.

I run a 31' Chris Craft, twin 454 inboards, I run 2 48" bags when trolling on 1 motor, and can get down to .5mph. bigger bags, you can get higher rpms, and control better. If you are running an autopilot, it will make everything more stable. I use the MinnKota sock, be sure to come to a full out of gear stop when deploying, and when retrieving the sock.

just measure the bags you have now like said below. lay them flat and measure them across the top then get bigger bags. just one set of bags can be a hassle to run. 2 sets of bags is just asking for unwanted hassles.

I had only tried trolling with a set of drift socks about 10 yrs ago and didn't like them at all. so I stayed with my trolling plate until about 3 yrs ago. then I found a set of trolling bags laying in the middle of the road. im not even sure what size they are but I tried them and now use them. I have to throttle up just a little to run 1.8 to 2.0 which is the speed I run on eries central basin.

you can find the amish beefy bags at erieoutfitters.com you can get the 36" bags for around 80.00.

good luck and good fishing.

Yup a bigger set of bags or you could also prop down a bit in size or pitch. Bags are gonna be cheaper than a prop. I run my bags off the side cleat and tied to the rear cleat. Easy to flip in and out. The back of them is almost even with the back of the boat. Probably a foot short

So would the 36" ones work from amish outfitters. Or are there a cheaper company that would work just as well.

My bags came from Big Papa Sports...made in Michigan and I'm guessing comparable to the Amish Outfitters bags.

http://www.bigpapasportfishing.com/trolling_bags.htm

I called them and they were very helpful with sizing for my boat.

For an immediate solution, perhaps you might trim the drive up a bit to redirect the thrust. That might take a little speed off but you'd lose some control in exchange for that.

If possible, try moving the bags forward a little. I would want the back of the bags ~1/3 of the length of the boat up from the stern -- on a 21' boat that would be ~6-7'. That also keeps them well forward of the "fishing area". The rear line is the important one -- and mainly to 1) keep the tail reasonably close to the boat; and 2) lift on the line to take them out of the water easily. The front line can be secured to a forward location and never be touched during the day of fishing.

Also make sure that the lines to the bags are long enough to let them get under the water a foot or so when at trolling speed.

For sizing I too would contact Bob at Big Pappa (248-344-0958). His has worked with many different models of boats to size bags for all speed needs -- an Islander is pretty common, so I'm sure he can recommend the right size.