Starting my Meat Season

Is that the fire brine? Have you noticed a difference in results by using a dye vs. a powder?

No fire brine, just good ole borax and pickle salt as per video;

Now don't laugh, the coloring is from food coloring jell. Tried a few colored last year and they all got hammered. And we're going to give it hell out of South Haven tomorrow evening, six rods, six Ales. Now there is nothing wrong with Big Weenie powder or Fire Brine, I'm just cheap and have lot of time.

Martin

• 2 weeks later...
Do you find one color works better than another ?

Last year everything was "natural" with a handful of green toward the end of the season. This year I've had 2 fly-bys on the green and one fish on the natural. Still waiting to try the blue and the red ones.

Martin

In the last couple of weeks I made 3 trips to the pier and netted up enough Ale's to last me and my son for the rest of the season +. Here is a small sample. I tried a green one for a few hours last week and it finished just as green as when it started.

Martin

post-6043-14498788186005_thumb.jpg

post-6043-14498788186122_thumb.jpg

post-6043-14498788186338_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Wish I could find some alewives to net so I didn't have to buy herring. Some days tbe herring is all they want and others it won't even get hit. And I bet alewives are more consistent since they are more of a natural prey species.