set ups

Just uncovered the boat for the first time and got all equipment out for the yearly check.

In stripping all line and oiling reels tightening reel seats stuff like that etc. got me thinking about a couple of questiions for welcomed opinions.

I just restrung my lead cores and was puutting on the leader and was curious as to what leader lenght everyone uses. last season I ran with a 30' leader on my lead core and was very succesfull. But id like to know what everyone elese is doing and if they are doing better then me?

Next I came to my new wire line rigs. In talking with some guys Ive found that some just crimp sleves and swivels on the ends to hook to a dipsey. And I have seen my buddy Gregs tekota/tolora setups from big lake outfiters with little 2" snubbers on the end with crimps hoding it on. I have also herd that some guys are going from wire to mono with an albright knot and are having alot of success. What are pros and cons to these and which work best? And what are you leader lengths if you are using mono on them. Need I deas so I can see what works best for this rig as this is the firt time since 1979 my boat or my dads has had a wire rig on it. I know I can get some feedback here.

I kept my lead core a little longer last year, about 50-60 feet, that way I did not have to retie much, had plenty to trim up.

I am also running 50-60' leaders off my lead cores, for the same reason. When I get down to 20-30', I retie.

I am running 8" snubbers, with a six foot 25lb mono leader after my dipsey's for with my wire. I am only running spinners and flies with my wire.

We use a 50-70 foot leader made of Gamma fluorocarbon leader material. This stuff is extremely tough. It rarely needs to be retied. But, once it gets down to 20-30 feet the leader is replaced with a new segment of 50-70 feet.

We use a double overhand knot to tie a swivel onto the wire. We put 2 8mm beads over the knots and about a 1 inch piece of a blown out snubber as a shock absorber to reel the swivel all the way to the rod tip without getting kinks and twists. The beads and snubber cover up the knots and stop the wire and swivel from going through the rod tip.

Lastly, we only run flashers/flies and meat on our wire divers. The leader is 40 pound Gamma leader material and later on in August and September we use 50 pound leader material.

Good feedback. For the most part I run only flashers and flys behind the dipsey, Unless its late aug early september as I will run a #5 mongoose J Plug off of a Mono dipsey because it is a deadly set up. The leader lengths for the lead core ive found that with my 221 islander that on turns I will sometimes get the two crossed if the leaders are that long . And yes I run them on walley boards. That is why I went down to 30' Has anyone eles run into this? Hit man, I like your discription of your set up for the wire as I went through terminal yesterday and scrapped 3 snubbers as they are starting to tear and about a half a dozen flys that I scrapped the beads and hooks off of because the skirts were shot. Do you put a bead on bolth ends of the piece of snubber or only on the bottom.? As far as what I use for leaders, I use Seagar flourocarbon. I have some Gama from the GR sport fishing show from last years Engle/Bale show Just have not run out of the seagar as I buy it in large rolls. How does everyone like the Gama? Any Issues?

We use a bead below the snubber and above the snubber. So it goes from the swivel that you tied on: bead, snubber, bead.

We run up to 5-6 lead core rods and boards on a side. We rarely get leaders or cores clustered up. The key is to have a large amount of distance between each board.

We used to use Seaguar Fluorocarbon and leader material exclusively. We now use Gamma and I think it is tougher. The only thing I don't like is the Gamma is a little more stiff than the Seaguar. But, other than that we have had no other issues in two years using Gamma.

http://www.animatedknots.com/albright/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Here is a site that shows pics and slides of knots that I use when im not sure if Im calling it what it really is. I dont see handover knot so maybe its the same as something else. This is a good site for all knots from fishing to boating.

I also run 3 to 4 per side. I would not say I have a problem with tangles as much as it would seem. I think last year I had 2 tangles all season. I just remember relating the tangle with a long leader. other factors that day were current and wind as the boat was tought to controll. Guess I shoud put in all factors. I started last year with 60 foot of leader and when they got down to 30 things just started running smoothly. Just restrung them again and went back with 60' as it makes sense like someone in the replys stated (better to start long). Appreciate the feedback. Forums like this give guys alot to think about and different things to try and find out what works best. Ive been fishing the big lake for almost 30 years now and always find a better way to do something from the feedback on the site. thanks guys.