More Tradgedy on Saginaw Bay.

Death On The Saginaw Bay

Feb 26, 2007 08:17 AM EST

(TV-5) -- Bay County authorities are reporting another death on the Saginaw Bay. Two people fell into open water in Linwood on February 24th.

The Cost Guard was able to pull them both out from the ice but a 50-year-old man was pronounced dead at the hospital. A 29-year-old male was treated and released.

The men were apparently snowmobiling and four-wheeling across the Bay. This is second death on the Saginaw Bay this month.

Ice is unpredictable and can become dangerous in a matter of seconds, the Coast Guard would like to remind people to be safe if they are going to venture out on the ice.

I just got off of the phone with Kenny Darwin. He was on the Bay when this happened, and talk to part of the response team. He actually witnessed and rescued another person the day prior to this accident. He said that he witnessed a lot of carelessness on the Bay over the weekend.

Daniel

The longer one is in the water, the less your chances for survival, even after rescue.

Heres also another idea for your ice spikes. Below is a picture of my helmet I wear out when ice fishing. Three years ago I took my own little polar bear swim, in that first crack out of Linwood road. I was in the middle of a freak storm that came up quick, had 40 MPH+ winds and churned up a white-out with 10 yard visibility. My GPS brought me back to the crack where I had went out earlier. But, the crak had opened about 3 feet, so I layed down my 4 foot aluminum skids to cross it. My dog sled caught the skids in the back, and when I gunned the 4 wheeler, the chains on the front wheels caught the skids and pulled them away from the edge of the ice on the other side of the crack. Down the front end went in 7 FOW with me on the machine. I tried my best too get to my ice picks that went around my neck and under my suite, but could not do it. So I scrambled off the back of the machine and onto the dog sled and shanty attached to the back of each other. They also saved my 4 wheeler from going down. Some guys came along and got everything out of the crack. But I learned a lesson about where might be the best place for my ice spikes. My head was always above water and even though it may look goofy (and even more goofy when I wear it) the spikes are now where i can reach them under any circumstances.

IM001323.sized.jpg