Too early for offshore steelhead?

jdh

I've tried a few times this month in water up to 200 ft deep with nothing to show for it. I've fished both sides of temp breaks. Found a temp break out in 160 to 180 fow in Holland this past weekend and there were a lot of bugs hatching off the surface.

Do I need to wait for the offshore water to warm up a little more?

Just asking because although I like salmon fishing I would much rather target steelhead if the weather allows my boat to get out there.

-JD

I was toying with the idea of checking myself this past Saturday when the lake was like glass but decided to stay in and work the few kings that were around. This time last year we had great steelhead action on our boat in the 140-180 range, lots of fish that had spawned and returned that were feeding heavily. Haven't run into one yet this year, but the steelhead run this year was mediocre IMO and very late, just as late or a touch later than last year. With a smaller run there's less drop back to target for the early season offshore fishery I would assume. I'm guessing it will pick up next month when the Skamania start to show themselves and hold for the rest of the summer, but that's just a guess, we'll see what mother nature decides.