Hi - just getting into the world of copper line fishing - I've been using lead core - but am in the process of converting - yes, late to the game. I wanted to ask what is the best way to spool it - do you allow for separation in the line with something that won't break - like a super line, or even mono? Sectioning sounds right to me - how much should I split it up? Any other advise would be appreciated - Love to get your insights - thanks in advance!

Due to the weight of the copper it isn't practical to try to use multiple segments on a single setup. To do this would require 50-100' segments of mono/braid between sections of copper to allow for the lighter line from the rod to the inline board.

Generally either mono or braid is used as backing under the copper -- with braid probably more common to allow use of smaller reels and get the needed 150-200 yards of backing. Many will add a section of 30# mono between the braid backing and copper as a place to connect the inline board -- the mono wears and holds better on some brands of clips.

What length of copper and the weight/thickness really depends on how deep you want your lure to run. Copper is also very speed dependent. Check out Bloodrun Tackle's dive curve charts to determine how much you would want. Often this results in multiple rods each with a different length of copper. The amount of copper will determine how big a reel you will need.

Bloodrun Dive Chart/Curve: http://www.bloodruntackle.com/copper-2-0-gps-depth-curve-dive-charts/

Because it is stiffer than leadcore, sometimes it is difficult to smoothly deploy the first 30-50' of copper. This is especially true when the copper is first spooled on the reel -- better once it is used a while. Some brands are better than others as well. One way to help the copper to come off without birdnesting the reel is to add one color of leadcore between the copper and leader. The leadcore comes off the spool/rod very cleanly and puts enough weight in the water to "pull" the copper off the reel. I also put the rod tip in the water when putting out the copper -- angling the rod down uses gravity to help deploy the line plus it helps the leader/leadcore/copper knots to go more smoothly through the rod guides.

Copper also needs different knots than most people use for leadcore. My preference is to use a small (30 or 50# test) Spro brand swivel for connecting the copper to the leader and backing. A haywire twist knot is used on the the copper/swivel end with shrink wrap over the knot. A regular know such as an improved clinch, Triline, or Uniknot is used to add the leader or backing to the swivel. This is a relatively small knot and goes through rod guides better.

I first heard of using the shrink wrap from Ryan Martin (Hondam) of Calumet Marine. Here is a picture that Ryan posted a while back of the completed knot:

DSC00702.jpg

Here is a good "how to" of tying the haywire:

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/haywire-twist

The other knot commonly used for copper to leader or backing is the Improved Albright. It does not use the barrel swivel but connects the leader/backing directly to the copper. Here is a good video of how to tie it:

Thanks Ryan - I used the Albright knot - I only had some 80# SPRO swivels - the Albright worked well. I guess I'm still hung up on segmenting the copper for different depths - as I don't have enough rods to have 150' on one, 300' on another, etc...as I can't imagine allowing the copper line to be at the rod tip (I do have Twilli Tips on the rods), and then having the board attached to it. I will possibly try one rod that is segmented and the other with the full 300' of copper on it...thanks again!!!

I do not think you will like the copper segmented. More knots means more opportunities for failure. You get a screamer and a knot catches it likely won't end well, or cheaply. Figuring how much mono between the segments to allow for proper board spread could be interesting as well. I would also imagine each knot will create some amount of additional drag lessening the depth of the copper, it may be minimal, not sure. Add 1 set up at a time as $$ allows. 75, 150, 225 and 300.

I have been running torpedo divers after the copper to get more depth. If I want to run my 150 copper to the same depth as a 350 copper I put on a shark torpedo diver and send out another 150', then put the board on. For me that would be a much better option than sectioning.

I buy reels on craigslist or here on classified ads...put on a few hundred feet of braid, add a 6' chunk of mono for the board, then put a copper on. Depending on the depth fish are biting I just change reels in the rod. I have 6 coppers, 3 rods. Takes 2-3 minutes to change, minimizes number of rods. Just a thought