Fished the Holland Steelheaders tournament this morning. Didn't do so well at 5 for 7, but also didn't have a box full of grease.

Began setting lines in 90 fow, with first hit almost as soon as the line was set. King on dipsey set at 3 120 back with UV/UV Spindoctor and Big Weenie Last Brunch Fly.

Next hit came on dipsey on opposite side of the boat with same settings but bearing a Wrapped Laser Lightsaver spindoctor and Big Weenie Bushy Beaver fly. Also a king in 105 fow.

Lost another king at back of boat in 115 fow on 225 copper with dark green and copper spoon while trying to untangle the 5 color it had gotten into. Sorry I can't come up with name of spoon but can't find it on websites and camera too full to take anymore pictures.

Trolled out to 125 with no takers, so trolled back and forth from 90 -110 fow the rest of the day. Once the rains stopped, kings seemed to stop as well.

Picked up a coho on 7 color with Silver Streak Metallic Purple tail spoon, a laker on the dipsey with the Bushy Beaver, and a steelhead on 5 color with Moonshine RV Blue Flounder Pounder. Lost a 3rd hit on the Bushy Beaver.

All hits came trolling 2.4 at the ball except for the laker which hit when speed dropped to 1.8 at ball. Had equal hits trolling both north and south.

Catch your grease and you are now bringing 10 fish to the scale, instead of 5

\

True enough. Though rumor has it the winning box was full of silver fish.

Congrats to Nick and Reel Talk.:thumb:

Definitely not a rumor! They got on the kings and patterned them from the get go. We had hoped to do the same, but could not get the king program going. then it comes down to having to get ten fish to weigh, and see where the chips fall. I dont get to excited about grease, and would never choose to just fish for them, but you got to take whats there to get your number

I agree with Ryan, we took second with 10 Lake Trout for 102 lbs.. We found a line of very nice size trout the day before and decided 10 fish are 10 fish no matter what they are as long as there 10lbs. We did find a couple 10ish lbs kings also, but the Trout were slightly larger.

I agree with Ryan, we took second with 10 Lake Trout for 102 lbs.. We found a line of very nice size trout the day before and decided 10 fish are 10 fish no matter what they are as long as there 10lbs. We did find a couple 10ish lbs kings also, but the Trout were slightly larger.

I've been sitting here for an hour, trying to figure out if I would have traded boxes with you yesterday if for some reason you'd lost your mind. It pains me to say it that I probably would have done so. But, I'd rather finish 25th with 1 small laker and a couple good kings, than finish 11th and out of the money with a box of 15 lakers to clean and deal with after.

Hmmm, maybe next year have 2 divisions: no cull and cull all lakers. Don't really mind catching em as long as I can throw em back. :thumb:

Dr. Hook, hindsight is definitely 20/20. There is no way of knowing just exactly how you will end up. You do what you can control, and we felt we could control getting the maximum number of fish to weigh. It may not be a winning box, but you have caught your number, and no one can really question you. You fish for the fun, but you also fish to win, or place in the top ten or so, and you can't do that without getting your number. We had lots of trout to clean, and give to people who love em, which is rewarding in itself

... give to people who love em, which is rewarding in itself

Perhaps you could compile a list for me. ;) Can't seem to give em away at the cleaning station. Don't really like em but wind up eating em because I don't want to waste the resource. :grin: