Where have the silver gone

I watched michigan out of doors last night and one of the segments on the show was a steelhead camp on the Manistee river below tippy dam. During the segment it was discussed that the steelhead numbers are very low. and that they are still waiting for a big push of steelhead.

Another segment was a charter out of lake huron in the lexington fund raiser torunament. They to were catching alot of (Lake Tout)

Along with that and reading all of the post and what everyone is catching

(Lake Trout) got me thinking.

Are we or have we already gotten to the point that laker huron was at 10 years ago? There is alot of talk about weather but lets face it. It is May and we should be knee high in silver fish right now. The Temps are perfect

reports show a few silver fish being caught but for the most part any numbers are (lake Trout) and (Brown Trout). Also noticed that I have not seen any reports on the bait fish. Usually they are here. looking at the water temps we should be seeing alot of them. Usually I have noticed over the years that people tend to use the weather as an explanation for Slow Hunting or Slow Fishing and to some degree that can be true. But, is that the case or are we at the begining of a new norm for Michigan sport fishing.

I dont really know the answer. I have been doing some reading, such as, stock

numbers, netting reports, fall runs, and fishing reports wich to me are the best indicator.

I guesse only time will tell but one has to wonder as the powers that be who manage our sport fishing and hunting resources always dont tell us everything unitll after it has happened. I remember reading a few years back that we were headed in this direction but the fishing was phenominal so did not really pay attention to the reports. but now you have to wonder.

Have not been out as of yet this year so hopefully I am wondering about nothing and hit the water in good stride.:thumb:

I agree. I have yet to venture out this year because of time, but am not chomping at the bit like I normally am because of the reports coming in. I still enjoy catching lakers and like to eat one here and there, but silver fish are what gets my heart pumping. It's hard to say what the season will hold, we will know more when the season is over. I too hope more silver will show up. Good luck to all!

The subject has been covered quite extensively on other websites. Great lakes angler and Michigan-sportsman have had very long thread with all kinds of speculation and some very good information. If you're interested in the answer you should do a search on these sites. It's not pretty:sorry:

The subject has been covered quite extensively on other websites. Great lakes angler and Michigan-sportsman have had very long thread with all kinds of speculation and some very good information. If you're interested in the answer you should do a search on these sites. It's not pretty:sorry:

Actually I have read them. on the gla site and michingan sportsman, thought it would be a good topic for our site as I always like to read positive feedback from others. but I agree not a pretty thought.

The coho should have already been and gone north. water temps are pushing 50 degrees in some southern harbors and usually 43 to 46 I slaughter the silvers. king usually 52 to 56. The coho plants have been reduced and even cut the last 4 years

There are fish but my point is that the big numbers are possibly a thing of the past.

If you didn't catch a ton of fish this spring its your own fault.

Well that's a helpful response. Care to elaborate in an even more condescending manner? Something like "why are you asking where the silver fish are? Everybody was catching them everywhere you idiot":thumb:

The fact is that the small kings being caught are not fresh planters, those are still in the pens. The small kings being caught are natural reproduction, they all have all of their fins and are really all nice 10" kings. We have released about 25 of them so far, but I see charter boats keeping them. (That is a real shame).

Sunday we will be pounding the St.Joe area and I believe we will still be on Lake trout. I talked to a fisheries guy and so far not much in the way of baitfish on the Michigan side. But I bet if we could get some Wisconsin guys to report they have baitfish all over. The last time we had this kind of spring shortage of bait, Wisconsin had em all.

Well that's a helpful response. Care to elaborate in an even more condescending manner? Something like "why are you asking where the silver fish are? Everybody was catching them everywhere you idiot":thumb:

We did very well this year catching cohos, browns, steelhead from the pier in SH. More walleyes have been caught this year than last. If you look at 2013 charter reports for the month of April in south haven. You'll see that 300+ lake trout were caught and 1 king was caught. The kings just don't always show up in any real #'s until the lake warms up a little more. Everyone wants to say the sky is falling. We've been here before.

King plants are also 1/3 of what they were for us. 45k fish to 15k fish. You guys better get used to going after a more mixed bag real quick or you're going to be very disappointed. Everyone knows this time of the year you can go out to 50' of water and hammer the lake trout. Or you can work the river plume and the shore near the pier and catch a very nice mixed bag. The kings are scattered. Everybody knows this. That doesn't change the fact there are a ton of nice healthy fish to catch. The guys on the piers are catching fish so why can't you? You should always be able to do better than a guy on the pier. You can cover a hell of a lot more water.

90% Lake Trout, They are doing what I did last Sat and Sunday, Catch lakers and then try to get a couple of silver fish. Last weekend we had the perfect storm, no bait, and Full Moon. Lets see what happens next time out. I have a trip planned for Sunday.

Is the glass half empty or half full? I witnessed first hand the Salmon numbers falling on Lake Huron. There are still a good number of silver fish caught here and mix that up with Lakers, Browns, and Walleye, and you'll catch fish and have just as much fun doing it. Focus on the fish that are there.

We are all so fortunate to have these great fisheries in our back yards. A day trip will put you on any one of the Great Lakes. How good is that? FISHON!!:)

If you didn't catch a ton of fish this spring its your own fault.

I was only able to make 4 trips last year due to family obligations and my own health issues but in 4 trips I boated 36 fish. mostly salmon and stealhead.

so ya I guess its my own fault. Was more curious about what other fisherman think of the direction of our current fisheries based on reports for Michigan sportsman

and other sites but ya that statement will defiantly help.

Nobody wants to talk about nets. I will throw my hat in the ring. Lots of salmon still going in tribal nets. I live by the Indians they take fish we plant and spend $ on

nobody can dispute this see it first hand

sure would be good if they stuck to the fish the great spirit planted vs the ones our license $ planted

I've released about 20 shaker kings this year and they've been about a 50/50 mix of clipped and natural fish. These are the fish that were planted or smolted last spring.

Usually we don't see them until June on the tail end of the spring kings. I've caught more shakers this spring than I do most seasons in totality.

• 4 weeks later...
Nobody wants to talk about nets. I will throw my hat in the ring. Lots of salmon still going in tribal nets. I live by the Indians they take fish we plant and spend $ on

nobody can dispute this see it first hand

sure would be good if they stuck to the fish the great spirit planted vs the ones our license $ planted

I know lots of tribal fishermen and I asked them first hand on how many salmon that they caught last fall. Most pulled their nets early because the salmon were not there. In years when the tribal members caught loads of salmon I had no problem catching all that I wanted. Sure some get caught in the nets but there has always been enough for everyone. The big problem is that guys want to fish for salmon when the sun is blazing on the lake or river and they don't bite then.

I've released about 20 shaker kings this year and they've been about a 50/50 mix of clipped and natural fish. These are the fish that were planted or smolted last spring.

Usually we don't see them until June on the tail end of the spring kings. I've caught more shakers this spring than I do most seasons in totality.

I'm with you Kevin. Lots of juvenile fish if we let em grow up.

Too many to name. My news feed has pics almost eveyday. GH charters been doing well on silvers offshore and in the mudd. SH charters split between silvers and lakers. St joe has been good too. My post wasn't meant as a " you suck " kind of a post if it came off that way just saying silvers are around gotta be on top game to get numbers though.