What has happened to GLF

I have been a member of this site since 2006, and the site has lately turned into a Charter Boat brag board. We used to give information on conditions, tackle and post pics of our baits and where, how and what depth we were fishing. There is a small group of members that still do this, but Jon Marvin and I were discussing just this last Sunday. I can't speak for other members, but I miss the sharing of information.

I hope we can get back to that. I will be posting all of the information I can, and for the time being I will refrain from the hero shot photos, and post only pics of the baits and rigs that were successful.

There's no lack of detailed reports during most of the season? In fact some very detailed reports sometime with pics of the lures. Not sure I follow you guys?

There's 16 reports from this past week alone.

I think you might be looking at the wrong spot. There is a place where the charter boats post their reports that come off their Facebook which is indeed pretty much useless since it just shows pictures. There were a lot of rants last year since they got posted in the regular reports and people were getting PO'd but has now been moved. If you go onto the reports section from users though there have been a lot of reports that have a lot of detail in them.

I think you might be looking at the wrong spot. There is a place where the charter boats post their reports that come off their Facebook which is indeed pretty much useless since it just shows pictures. There were a lot of rants last year since they got posted in the regular reports and people were getting PO'd but has now been moved. If you go onto the reports section from users though there have been a lot of reports that have a lot of detail in them.

I think most everyone logs in and checks the NEW POSTS. The Charter Captain's Facebook entries feed into this like all other posts. This has been discussed before. It's one of those love em or hate em things. :lol: These Facebook posts are very recognizable and no one has to read them.:)

Personally I don't subscribe to Facebook or other like sites. I think the older folks like me just don't get why some folks have to share so much personal information on the WWW. I think the Charter Captains like Facebook for it's free advertising. I guess different strokes for different folks.

The biggest thing this site does have going is the respect and friendliness of our members. Threads will have many different viewpoints and most accept the fact that we can all agree to disagree and still be friends when the discussion is over. We have all seen the fur fly on several different web sites.

I will not do a shake down until at least the middle of May. I most always share what I'm doing even if it's the same program day after day except for water depths.:) I use the force feed em method and will continue to do so. :lol:

I think most everyone logs in and checks the NEW POSTS. The Charter Captain's Facebook entries feed into this like all other posts. This has been discussed before. It's one of those love em or hate em things. :lol: These Facebook posts are very recognizable and no one has to read them.:)

Personally I don't subscribe to Facebook or other like sites. I think the older folks like me just don't get why some folks have to share so much personal information on the WWW. I think the Charter Captains like Facebook for it's free advertising. I guess different strokes for different folks.

The biggest thing this site does have going is the respect and friendliness of our members. Threads will have many different viewpoints and most accept the fact that we can all agree to disagree and still be friends when the discussion is over. We have all seen the fur fly on several different web sites.

I will not do a shake down until at least the middle of May. I most always share what I'm doing even if it's the same program day after day except for water depths.:) I use the force feed em method and will continue to do so. :lol:

Yeah I agree with you. But I'm not trying to shoot down all the charter captains, because some of them help this site a lot. I know some like Matt Mishler that post good reports and very detailed ones. But then there are some that the only posts that they contribute on here are only for advertising purposes and all their posts they have come from their Facebook.

But on a different note I'll be out this weekend a few times and will be sure to start contributing for this year and will leave a good detailed report.

I have not done a very well job at contributing either. I have written a couple reports here and there, but once this season kicks off I will try my best to write a report after every charter/fun fish out on the lake. I see that the more experienced fisherman on this site have no problems with writing reports, but i also see the greenhorns on this site that don't put many fish in the box are just looking for free information. End game is members just have to take ten minutes after fishing to write a decent report, no matter how many fish you put in the boat. That is what makes this site!

This is great discussion, Tarrey(DirtyDog) I am sure u will post your reports like always. My point is that when Mike started GLF it was more user oriented, and now it is more commercially oriented. I still will post my reports for St.Joe, and will not post hero pics but pics of the baits and equipment that was successful. Frank gives some of the best Walleye reports for Lake Huron and I brought this to the site because of a conversation that Jon Marvin and I had Sunday.

HERES THE REPORTS I HATE........

went out to day and killed em..we had 5 on at once and it was nonstop action ended 20 for 20..usually no detail included and usually no pic of the catch...or a pic of catch with no details and them saying get out there..

I think if you look back you will see several reports from me and more detail than you prolly care for down to speed at ball

Super tramp

I beielve there is a couple things going on that has lead to the issues you have brought up. First is natural attrition, It may be fair to say that we have lost more than we have gained. I have no proof of this, but it is possible. I know that over the last year I have reported less because of a multitude of personal reasons unrelated to fishing or this site. In saying that one of my resolutions this year was to get back into "sport writing" a bit more than I did last year. This includes more of the story, and pictures then exact reports. (see my first post of the year) In saying that, I am more than willing to share information if I find it prudent or helpful.

I know our core group of guys still fishes and then reports which is helpful, the time debated question is how do you get the lurkers out there to post.

I think think it is a difficult question to answer in regard to pride. If you look around this site, there are some DANG GOOD fisherman that post great reports.

Dirty Dog, Ben Lubbs, Little buck, FBD, Matt Mishler, Sniffer, and from time to time even I catch a limit or big box full. Along with many others.

Being a Lurker on this site, and seeing all these big boxes, would you want to report that you went 2 for 5 in 8 hours of fishing??

Food for thought as it is a battle that may never be won.

Unfortunetly, I do most my viewing and reporting from my phone, Don't/ won't own a computer! Have one at work occasionally I get the time to get on. I have tried and tried to post pics. Been give the link on how to blah blah, I'm sure I'm an idiot and it can be done but I have been unsuccessful many many many times always get error message! So I don't even try anymore to post pics! But I do however tell everything I can. And I greatly appreciate all the help others have provided. I don't make it out that often but when I do they are really important trips, my kids (I'm divorced), Foster kids, Vets, Friends,Family. You folks plain and simple are the reason I catch any fish. Thats a fact! I don't need GPS cord! but every time I ask for FOW, whats hot, where to start depth wise, dipsey set backs ect. I get an answer every single time I ask every single time! Ussually its dead on! I thank you all for that! FOr my part I share everything I possibly can with the exception of pics so I try to explain in best detail! One of these days I will try to have some one better at this teach me how to upload photo's-- Prob one of my kids but I don't see them that much. I promise I will do what I can to provide correct in depth reports if I miss something or you want to know ask in a response and I will reply!

Thank you all again many have helped me make many memories I otherwise wouldn't have with the one's near and dear to me! I truely hope to do the same for you.!

CHeers Good LUck this season

Unfortunetly, I do most my viewing and reporting from my phone, Don't/ won't own a computer! Have one at work occasionally I get the time to get on. I have tried and tried to post pics. Been give the link on how to blah blah, I'm sure I'm an idiot and it can be done but I have been unsuccessful many many many times always get error message! So I don't even try anymore to post pics! But I do however tell everything I can. And I greatly appreciate all the help others have provided. I don't make it out that often but when I do they are really important trips, my kids (I'm divorced), Foster kids, Vets, Friends,Family. You folks plain and simple are the reason I catch any fish. Thats a fact! I don't need GPS cord! but every time I ask for FOW, whats hot, where to start depth wise, dipsey set backs ect. I get an answer every single time I ask every single time! Ussually its dead on! I thank you all for that! FOr my part I share everything I possibly can with the exception of pics so I try to explain in best detail! One of these days I will try to have some one better at this teach me how to upload photo's-- Prob one of my kids but I don't see them that much. I promise I will do what I can to provide correct in depth reports if I miss something or you want to know ask in a response and I will reply!

Thank you all again many have helped me make many memories I otherwise wouldn't have with the one's near and dear to me! I truely hope to do the same for you.!

CHeers Good LUck this season

Jeff:

That is what I was getting at, we have always been an information first site. People like Dirty Dog, Jon Marvin, Priority 1 and Dave Ash have always posted good Information, Matt Mishler too gives great information about where and what he is catching fish on. I wish more Charters were like him. My question was meant to spark discourse and has done just that. My posts will continue to give depths speeds, pics when possible and When I jot them down GPS coordinates.

I am just surprised by the charter captains who post things like hurry prime dates going fast. Were hammering them call us now. We just had a cancellation. You get the picture. Not sure how many on this site would take a charter but they come across as we are all chomping at the bit to drive 500 miles to somewhere new. Or that we would love to leave are own boats sit and go throw more money for an already expensive hobby. I know guys occasionally go on a trip where they can't take there boat and or want to learn something new but not that many. The ones who do when it comes up usually just ask for a recommendation.

Being a weekend warrior I really appreciate and utilize any info I get off the reports. Just having a depth to start at in my opinion is huge. I think there is just a small group of people that unfortunately "lurk" for info but are not willing to share, which is disappointing. I've been lucky enough to have a few people catch there 1st big lake salmon on my boat and the pure joy on there face is priceless. It's a shame some sportsman feel the resource is there own.

It isn't just here at GLF guys. As many know I'm the forum admin over at GLA. GLA's fishing reports have also been down the last year or two and too often are of the "bragging" variety. I try to post on both sites when I manage to get on the water, but given my role at GLA, I post there more often. In addition to the fishing report type posts, all types of posts are down from my observations on both sites.

I also don't like the single line posts of "6 for 8 this morning with a fun team" by charters that come right off of Facebook. Remember though, the target for such posts are the charter's Facebook followers not really GLF members. If it was up to me, they would not be allowed to do that on GLF. It would be great for them to share posts of real value here and not just use it as an indirect advertising outlet. It is also a lot easier to post on Facebook in general and especially via mobile device that it is on web forums.

The number of posts in a couple of walleye oriented Facebook groups I'm a member of on Facebook have been staggering this spring. I'm also a member in one that is salmon oriented and it will be interesting to see what happens there as summer progresses. While I appreciate the forum format, I'm starting to think that social media is becoming more useful.

Another gripe I have is those that post thank you or atta-boys for posts that are primarily bragging. IMO, for those that are actually bragging, it just feeds their ego and compounds the problem. Maybe the moderators/owners of GLF should start stressing that posts should include more than just X for Y with pictures... and actually share some more details on how/when/where (in general) the fish were caught. On at least one of the FB groups I'm a member of, this is stressed highly and many of the members will follow up with prompts to those that do the brag posts to include some useful info. It even works!

In any case, the value of any forum or FB group is only in the quality contributions of those that participate. I plan to continue to participate and contribute as soon as I can get back on my two feet and on the boat in 6-8 weeks. Until then I'll continue to try to contribute and help others with my past experience.

SeaCatMich does have a good point. I can't stand going on the reports too and when you click on them and you just get a line of pictures showing what they caught and how many but don't even tell where they were or what they came on etc... I mean there is a picture section where you can post all those photos on. The reports section is not a "brag" section.

And By the way, I hope you recover fast so you Can get back on the water SeaCat!

So I went through and checked my reports. Though I dont have pics of every luhr I used I always name the set up, depth, port and even give gps positions of my trip. I know that charter captains have their own language out there on the water and if you listen to them you can pick up on their decoded messages if they are even talking. most use phones now.

I think that for the most part, those of us who help build this site and make it what it was are still here and post our reports like business as usual

which is why this site became a better site than others.

I dont post as much as I use to because I don't fish as much as I use to.

Not that I dont want to its just that I have teenage kids and I follow them all over south west michigan with Football,Basketball,volleyball,soccer,tennis,quiz

bowl.

I agree the site has changed alot. But for the most part the guys that made this site valuable are still here doing their thing. These are the guys I follow and listen to.

Charter captains for the most part want to keep everything on the down low in the post world. not all. but most, they are runing a business and feel it is protecting their best intrest. not sure if that is wright or wrong but it is what it is.

Good luck to all this season. I hope to fish the Joe this Sat for the first trip of the year.