fish finder vs lure speed/temp indicator

tort

I have been reading some of the comments about lure speed/temp indicator. I currently have an old (1995?) eagle fish finder (model??? about $325) and have been thinking about upgrading. If you had to upgrade and had about $700 would you get a new fish finder, or use the existing fish finder and get a lure speed/temp indicator?

How does your Eagle fish finder work? I have never had much good luck with the old Eagle fish finders. Again, I will vote for a Brand New fish finder as I think that is more important than a temp and speed indicator. You can buy an excellent color graph for under $700. Maybe next year would be the year to purchase the temp and speed indicator. Just my thoughts. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Does your fish finder pick up the thermocline? A good fish finder will show you the thermocline. Set your fish finder to show arches instead of fish symbols. When it is set to fish symbols, it removes the clutter out of the water. This clutter could be the thermocline.

I would spend the money on a GOOD fish finder.

For $700. Buy both. You don't need a lot of money in order to purchase a sonar (fish finder) that will show you bottom, bait, and thermocline.

But first try to tune the one you have. Chances are it will work fine. Older is not always a bad thing.

Definately purchase a speed/temp unit if your current sonar is functional. I would recommend the sub-troll. It works fine, is easy on the eyes after hours of watching it, and costs less than other units. You can get a pretty good deal from the rep at the shows going on this spring. And then you will have enough dough left to purchase a GPS. Utilize all three and you will be a force to be reckoned with.

And IMHO it will put more fish in the box than a sonar upgrade will. (unless of course you buy a sonar that not only shows depth, bait, fish, and thermocline; but also what species and what lure it will bite on.:lol:

The fish finder is unimpressive. (what do you expect for 10 years old and mid/low cost) I have played around with the sensitivity settings and either get ALOT of clutter or very little clutter. I dont think it has the ability to pick up the thermocline. The only thing i really trust it for is depth. Can you get a quality finder for $700 range? I only go out about 8 times a year in lake michigan and another 4-5 times walleye fishing. What unit would you guys recomend?

I'll second Capt Levi ... buy both. I bought an Eagle fishfinder and Depth Raider two years ago for right around $7 bills. The FF is the SeaFinder 480 DF, plenty of power and detail and you can split frequencies to track your rigger balls.

DAN