Fished Saugatuck today from about 10:00 to 5:00. Went 3/5 with two football Browns and a laker. (Released the greaser) Tensions were high on the boat with everybody getting frustrated after trolling around for about three hours with just one hit with no fish. Especially after watching pier anglers pull them in left and right. We made a pass along the north pier wall and boom! Put that one in the boat and the tension eased. Made a few more passes and nothing. Then made a pass through the channel and picked up another brown about halfway through the channel hugging the north wall trolling up stream. Made one more pass through the channel and picked up the laker right outside the pier heads and hooked into either a coho or a small steelhead that never made it to the net. All fish on golden hot n tots with other hits on a silver thin fin and another on an orange tiger thunderstick. If you're thinking about heading out, fish the pier. People on the south pier couldn't keep fish off their lines. Nobody was fishing the north.

Tension?? Relax and have a beer...there's no tension in fishing!!

Very true! Although we were fishing out of our little 14 foot boat with three people and when the motor breaks down half a mile from the pier heads :eek: it gets a little stressful. Still a good time though. Gotta love a day on the water! (The best feeling in the world was when that motor sputtered back to life. Saved us from a lot of paddling lol)

Nice catch! Next time, keep the laker and try a blind taste test against the browns or other salmonids. Make them the same way and don't let the tasters know which is which. You will be surprised at the results. I've done it a lot, lakers win almost every time.

Very true! Although we were fishing out of our little 14 foot boat with three people and when the motor breaks down half a mile from the pier heads :eek: it gets a little stressful. Still a good time though. Gotta love a day on the water! (The best feeling in the world was when that motor sputtered back to life. Saved us from a lot of paddling lol)

The perils of a small boat :lol:. We only have a main engine on our 16footer as well and making sure it is in top working condition is always my number one priority and I'm constantly checking the condition of everything on it since it's an older model. We've never gotten stranded ourselves but it's bound to happen eventually that's why it's important to have a couple backup plans in place for when it does occur. This time of year can be tough to get a tow with limited traffic out there, which does make it a bit more of a risk, just another reason not to wander too far out from the beach. Glad you made it in safe and didn't have to do it under "man power".

The perils of a small boat :lol:. We only have a main engine on our 16footer as well and making sure it is in top working condition is always my number one priority and I'm constantly checking the condition of everything on it since it's an older model. We've never gotten stranded ourselves but it's bound to happen eventually that's why it's important to have a couple backup plans in place for when it does occur. This time of year can be tough to get a tow with limited traffic out there, which does make it a bit more of a risk, just another reason not to wander too far out from the beach. Glad you made it in safe and didn't have to do it under "man power".

Yeah the little boat is kind of a pain. We have an 18 foot sea sprite as well but it's at the boat doctor for the time being. Usually also bring the electric motor when we use the little one, but after checking multiple times through the boat to make sure we didn't leave any important things in it when we dropped it off to get fixed, we left back up engine batteries, 4 planer boards, and down rigger weights all of which could've been usefull.

How far out behind boards do u run? Riggers and dipsys work this time of year??

We run our boards from 50-100ft back with body baits and smaller spoons (clean or with weight). Generally keep it on the longer side when targeting browns though, for coho is doesn't matter a lot of the time. Dipsies work well for coho, although we've never had a lot of luck with them on browns. I would think slide divers would work well for browns, but have never tried so can't comment there.

How far out behind boards do u run? Riggers and dipsys work this time of year??

We had the boards back about 100-120ish when fishing the open water, but hugging the pier wall and in the channel had them at about 60. To be honest all our fish were caught on just regular cranks without boards set about 50 feet back. I wouldn't try dipseys its just too shallow and not worth it. The cranks dived down deep enough without them.