No one home in New Buffalo

Well I figured a bad report was better than no report. Got out today to do my shake down run. We went 0-1. Threw a mix of jointed rapalas and thin fins. Trolled mainly around the harbor mouth in and out of the muddy water. Water temp was around 33-34 degrees. Speed on the GPS around 1.8 to 2.5. Not sure if the speed had anything to to do with our luck but we met up with others at the ramp who did much better than we did. Said they got 15 :confused:. When I asked how fast they were trolling they said between 2.8 and 3. But had some of their hits come on the outside lines during a turn. I wouldn't have thought to go that quick seeing the water temp was so low. This brings up a question. How fast do some others troll for coho, kings, and steel-head?

I've only done this 1 season, but I've had most luck pulling spoons and body baits between 2.5 and 4.5 mph.

Mag spoons between 2.5 & 3.3 mph.

Standard spoons between 2.5 and 3.7 mph.

Small spoons (mini streaks & superslims) between 2.5 and 4.5 mph.

I don't fish new buffalo any more. but back in the day we fished it from ice out until the kings started showing up in south haven. we used all types of cranks. I even put a couple of broken back rainbow trout down on riggers for kings. we did mostly shallow crank baits. we ran 2.8 to about 3.2 mph. we caught a lot of Coho's this way. good luck and good fishing.

sherman