Time to re-spool (help)

It's time for me to re-spool my copper rigs but before I do, I could use some suggestions as to what line counters you are using to spool. I have the little clip on one's, one from Berkley and one from Rapela but I can never seem to get through a reel without a hiccup, like line slipping out of counter, putting too much backer on, even though I followed the handy spreadsheet that many people seem to use.

Are you using the little cheap counters like me? Any tips? I got so frustrated last time I told myself I was gonna pay someone to do it, which is still not out of the question.

Have a big backyard? Just lay it out, measure, and reel it back in.

Although I have line counter reels I use the backyard method to measure out the copper off of a bulk spool to make sure that I really know how much is on the reel(s).

If I'm using pre measured lengths then I don't do this but since I wanted different lengths not offered by the manufactures, I decided to go with the bulk spool and get the 200' 250'... lengths that I wanted... plus it is a lot cheaper!

Another thing you can do is go to the sponsors link, Great Lakes Tackle Shop, they offer 100, 150,200,250,300,350, 400, and 450 coppers all pre measured. Really inexpensive. I highly recommend that when you have a tackle problem, that u check them and the other commercial sponsors of this site.

I buy the larger spools and I carefully measure the circumference and calculate how much line comes off per revolution. I put a piece of tape on the spool to make it easy to count and I wind away. You can remeasure as the spool gets smaller but after a few times you get to know it. So far it has worked out quite accurate (close enough for me).

• 2 weeks later...

I have measured out on the city sidewalk , if your re spooling just use another reel and put the backing on first after you reel up the leader and the copper. then back up and add a new leader you should be all set.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...