Braid Connections To: Spool, Copper, Leadcore

Braid to spool: ~40 feet of Mono as Capt. Matt stated

Braid to copper: Splice in a section of mono. I like to use the 80# Sampo ball bearing barrel swivels with a haywire twist and shrinkwrap for the copper and fisherman's knot for the mono.

Braid to leadcore: Splice in a section of mono, uni-to-uni for both connections

Braid to mono: Uni-to-uni knot

Braid to copper: Splice in a section of mono. I like to use the 80# Sampo ball bearing barrel swivels with a haywire twist and shrinkwrap for the copper and fisherman's knot for the mono.

Exactly the same as above. Mono splices are for the board clip

Same for me too but I don't do the mono.

BACKER COPPER LEADER

-put a wrap of electrical tape around reel spool (helps prevent backing from slipping on spool)

-attach backer to spool with an arbor knot

-spool on desired amount of backing

-tie on Spro #3 heavy swivel for backer to copper connection

-Palomar knot for braid to swivel connection

-if using braid as backer… burn and melt tag end to create a ball. This will protect against knot slippage

-haywire twist for copper to swivel connection

-3/4-1” of shrink tube to cover haywire twist

-spool on desired length of copper

-tie on Spro #3 heavy swivel for copper to leader connection

-haywire twist for copper to swivel connection

-1” of shrink tube to cover haywire twist

-Palomar knot for leader to swivel connection

-spool on desired length of leader

-tie on Spro coast lock swivel to business end with Palomar knot

• 2 weeks later...

Getting ready to tie my first copper rigs, Silly question for Legacy... How do you tie the leader palomar knot to swivel on the end of your copper when the swivel is already hay wired/shrink tubed? Don't you have to pass the loop over the swivel? I wouldn't want to tie leader to swivel before shrink tube being heated. What am I missing?

Thanks

Getting ready to tie my first copper rigs, Silly question for Legacy... How do you tie the leader palomar knot to swivel on the end of your copper when the swivel is already hay wired/shrink tubed? Don't you have to pass the loop over the swivel? I wouldn't want to tie leader to swivel before shrink tube being heated. What am I missing?

Thanks

I tie an improved clinch knot for that very reason.

Thanks

2 ways to do it...

1. tie your leader to your swivel and then attach to copper with haywire twist.

2. tie your swivel on to your copper with haywire twist. typically when you tie a palomar knot you pass the swivel through the loop... instead of that pass the opposite end through the loop. you will end up with the same out come. You may have to try it to understand what i mean.

If done right your leader will never be in danger while heating your shrink tubing. Your not heating the swivel and your not covering the swivel with shrink tubing. your just trying to cover the haywire twist.