Hello my name is Doug, haven't been on forums in years. Last forum I was on I was SWMFDOTCOM on Michigan Sportsman. I had found a thread on here from 2006 but now can not find it, I am wanting to become a river guide for Salmon and Steelhead....... Yes I know there are many already. Can someone point me in the right direction to getting license to do so???? Feel free to PM me. I'm hoping this forum is active looking forward to interacting with fellow fisherman, will finish profile soon.

Thanks

Hi Doug,

My name is Sue Bladek, I am an instructor for US Captains Training. Give me a call and I can either help you or get you connected with another instructor.

We offer 3 different avenues; Brick and Mortar Classroom, On Line or Blended.

My number is 616.403.5000

Yes, you are required to hold at least a 6Pack great lakes & inland if you want to accept payment of any kind; they have done away with the inland license only a few years ago.

I will be getting off the site shortly so give me a call if I can answer any more questions for you. You can also go to our site www.uscaptains.com

Welcome Doug, lot's of helpful anglers here as you can already see in this thread. What you won't see is all the drama and fighting that occur on some other forums.

Yes, you are required to hold at least a 6Pack great lakes & inland if you want to accept payment of any kind; they have done away with the inland license only a few years ago.

I will be getting off the site shortly so give me a call if I can answer any more questions for you. You can also go to our site www.uscaptains.com

i am not sure if doug is talking about guide from bank,boat or both. but you are saying that to guide river anglers with out a boat you still need a cg license. i find this hard to believe and would say there are a whole bunch of unlicensed guides if thats the case

• 3 weeks later...
i am not sure if doug is talking about guide from bank,boat or both. but you are saying that to guide river anglers with out a boat you still need a cg license. i find this hard to believe and would say there are a whole bunch of unlicensed guides if thats the case

Does not matter I checked it out a month ago and found out the same thing. You also have to be careful where you guide, federal forest land is more or less hands off unless you have a special permit. There are lots of illegal guides out there. If you accept money for boat gas you are an illegal guide. Lots of it does not make sense but for the guys that have a large investment in the guiding business they want to be protected to some extent.