Downrigger Wire Vibration

I have a noticeable hum or vibration coming from my downrigger wires. It makes my teeth hurt and, I suspect, it also irritates fish. I fish Lake Superior. Typically my downrigger weights are 100 ' to 150' below surface. I normally troll between 1.5 mph and 3 mph. Does this hum spook fish? If yes, how can I eliminate it?

I have a noticeable hum or vibration coming from my downrigger wires. It makes my teeth hurt and, I suspect, it also irritates fish. I fish Lake Superior. Typically my downrigger weights are 100 ' to 150' below surface. I normally troll between 1.5 mph and 3 mph. Does this hum spook fish? If yes, how can I eliminate it?

I don't think the hum spooks fish especially Kings. That rigger wire whine from the wind along with the cable blow back and bend in the Dipsy rods was our indicators for proper speed before we had all the good stuff. Personally I don't mind that eerie hum of the wires but to some it's like fingernails on a chalkboard. :lol:

I used riggers for salmon and run 2.5 all the way up to 3.5 and the hum was just part of salmon fishing. now I use 2 riggers on erie for eyes and run 1.8 to 2.0 or that is my target speed. I use the 13# pancake weights now. and I don't think I even get the hum. maby I've just gotton over it over the yrs, LOL.

Thanks everyone. I guess I will just have to accept the noise and assume it is doing me some good.

if it gets to bad you can always do what power pro said and switch to braid. you can find 200# braid on ebay pretty cheap.

• 3 weeks later...