W.m.f.l. 2015

With the 1-man DNR limit, it's a max of three trout of one species. That would mean, for example I can catch three steelhead and 2 of another other species, whether they are lakers, browns, coho or kings it doesn't matter. They don't have to be salmon.

I'm not sure I would be up for starting earlier. If we had a shotgun start, could I just show up a little later and still fish the event?

Edit: JDH I believe you are right on this 3/2 2/3 or 5 salmon

One of the reasons I stopped fishing this was all the weird rules. That and the low entry fee often meant even if I won it cost me more boat gas then the event paid but that is another issue. Trying to write new rules every year makes it hard to stay focused. 1st everyone needs to start at the same place and same time. Next use DNR rules on fishing 3 man limit weigh what you want we currently use 6 in our events. We are adding boundaries this year to keep it a local port event. Several years ago Don and I modified our MSCST rules to match the WMFL so we could compete with each other on a level field. We have changed nearly everything back except we still only weigh 6 fish. Honestly I often would like to return to weighing 10 fish but that has not been discussed. One issue not discussed with start times is the chance of a accident increases when you have a early start this is why most large events start after sunup as they could not afford the insurance to start in the dark. So my input is run it just like a TT event as far as rules and weigh what every you agree on. This way you have a fishing tournament with a low entry fee and it should work.

Why not? We would have inexperienced people on the rods. Probaby leaving later the everyone and are on a time period where we possibly would have to be in earlier then everyone else.

Only issue I see having charter captains in is keeping them to the rules. Iff they are fine with the rod limits and rules and want to play in a small event so be it.

Only issue I see having charter captains in is keeping them to the rules. Iff they are fine with the rod limits and rules and want to play in a small event so be it.

You must have never fished on Chinook pier, its a 13 boat tournament every day without a entry fee or prize money. We like competation like everyone else. I think it would be a fun way to add to a charter.

Most charters run more than 9 rods and often fish the captains and 1st mates limit as well. Like I said follow the rules and should be OK, we allow anyone in our events but none of my friends that charter want to limit themselves to 9 rods and our rules for a low entry fee event that has a small payout.

Is there any way we can build in some youth incentives? I know the kids in Kings tournament is all about them but I was wondering if we could somehow make it worthwhile to bring kids along. They are the future of the sport.

its always worth while to bring my kids along...no incentive needed

Is there any way we can build in some youth incentives? I know the kids in Kings tournament is all about them but I was wondering if we could somehow make it worthwhile to bring kids along. They are the future of the sport.

How about overall big fish and youth (12 & under or something) big fish?

Getting the kids involved is a great idea but would be hard to put something solid in place IMO. Some guys have kids to young to fish others are to old to qualify and some don't have kids. Also the scales will be a busy place to get everyone through and in a timely manner without throwing in that curve.

Although I do usually have 2 kids with me one is 14 will be 15 in June and the other is 42 going on 12 (he probably wont qualify :grin: ). If guys were interested it may be fun to have a side bet going maybe something like $5 per kid that wants to enter for the longest fish they caught or wait till everyone weighs for league then have kids go up for their weights?? I would be up for something like that if my kid(the 14yr old) met the age limit everyone agreed on.

I ran the whole season mostly in a row boat with.my nine year old as a first mate. Kid is a savant about driving a line while trollinv. Thing I've found with kids is they have their own tournies and that's great but being able to hang with the adults is an even.bigger source of pride.

I'm not too keen on having charter captain's or even first mates fish these. Not so fair when they're on the water day in and day out and have a huge network. I'd catch a he'll of a lot more fish if I could pick up running the same program that worked the day or two or all week ago and be calling my charter boat buddies all morning.  Having to fish a tournament against these people really stacks the deck. Maybe we put all the charter captain's in a room and put twenties on the table And see who can design a control arm bushing the fastest? I mean that's what I do 60 hours a week.

Sorry haven't seen this thread til now Terry. Here are my thoughts on what has made these events successful in the past and what has killed them.

I've experienced the inception of the Manistee fun tourney, WMFL, SJFL, and the Dreamweaver event. I've been around for the downfall of Manistee and the SJFL. I watched but was not involved with the contraction of the WMFL and have been very involved in the expansion of the Dreamweaver.

The number one killer of these events has been money. As soon as people start looking at it as a way to pay their tackle or gas bill it's all over. The sponsors and prizes are cool but as they grow they change the atmosphere. Dreamweaver is immune to this because it revolves around the charity but we still struggle every year to not get too big for our britches. I'd say we're tickling that line right now but we've continued to be blessed with a core group that do it for the right reasons with a few that come and go because they don't.

The number one reason guys fish the league events is because they are NOT like big money events. The more you make them similar the less attractive you are. Early start times, no charters, points per fish species, honor system, open communication, bragging rights mean more than prize money, making friends on the water. These are all things that draw the weekend warriors to the league. I'll bet 90% or more of the guys that have fished the league would say the number one reason they actually went to their first event was to meet and learn from other guys. And I'll also bet that same amount would say the reason they kept fishing it was to compete against and hang out with their new found buddies.

So my humble suggestions:

Keep the points per species because it's different

Keep the lines down time because it's different and allows guys to safely get out to fish in the dark instead of trying to run balls out.

Keep the charters out. Lot of great guys but too intimidating for the newcomers

Move to the different ports. It brings new guys in that fish that particular port and takes guys out of their comfort zones to learn new ports.

With the changing of the fishery I like the 1 man DNR weigh in.

Lastly an addition I would like to see is during the weighing of your teams fish you give a quick synopsis of your day to the group. Sort of like a report on here. You see guys doing it in small groups but it ends up turning clichy. I think this would be a great way to bring new guys in and start conversations between guys that don't know each other.

Thanks for asking my opinion. Whatever the decision's are I think the league is in good hands.

Excellent post. I know when six shooter had five fish in the first half hour in the dark he was kind enough to point out that I needed to fish warm water. And nailer scraping kings off the bottom in August, well, have not been able to duplicate that but he didn't keep it a secret.

We are up for everything as we are in it to see friends and hopefully all the bragging rights. South haven could be fun. With the points per fish my vote is no laker points and 10 per for everything else, reason for that is we don't keep lakers as we have plenty of salmon to eat. Like shotgun start, like the 1 man limit, like the bump in entry fee,

I'm also thinking about grilling hot dogs for the weigh in for a donation and give the money to the dreamweaver

Sorry haven't seen this thread til now Terry. Here are my thoughts on what has made these events successful in the past and what has killed them.

I've experienced the inception of the Manistee fun tourney, WMFL, SJFL, and the Dreamweaver event. I've been around for the downfall of Manistee and the SJFL. I watched but was not involved with the contraction of the WMFL and have been very involved in the expansion of the Dreamweaver.

The number one killer of these events has been money. As soon as people start looking at it as a way to pay their tackle or gas bill it's all over. The sponsors and prizes are cool but as they grow they change the atmosphere. Dreamweaver is immune to this because it revolves around the charity but we still struggle every year to not get too big for our britches. I'd say we're tickling that line right now but we've continued to be blessed with a core group that do it for the right reasons with a few that come and go because they don't.

The number one reason guys fish the league events is because they are NOT like big money events. The more you make them similar the less attractive you are. Early start times, no charters, points per fish species, honor system, open communication, bragging rights mean more than prize money, making friends on the water. These are all things that draw the weekend warriors to the league. I'll bet 90% or more of the guys that have fished the league would say the number one reason they actually went to their first event was to meet and learn from other guys. And I'll also bet that same amount would say the reason they kept fishing it was to compete against and hang out with their new found buddies.

So my humble suggestions:

Keep the points per species because it's different

Keep the lines down time because it's different and allows guys to safely get out to fish in the dark instead of trying to run balls out.

Keep the charters out. Lot of great guys but too intimidating for the newcomers

Move to the different ports. It brings new guys in that fish that particular port and takes guys out of their comfort zones to learn new ports.

With the changing of the fishery I like the 1 man DNR weigh in.

Lastly an addition I would like to see is during the weighing of your teams fish you give a quick synopsis of your day to the group. Sort of like a report on here. You see guys doing it in small groups but it ends up turning clichy. I think this would be a great way to bring new guys in and start conversations between guys that don't know each other.

Thanks for asking my opinion. Whatever the decision's are I think the league is in good hands.

Thanks for your input Tom , I will look into all of these , I really like all the points and reason. With that said , I will try to get a list of rules set up this weekend , probly two or three options and put it up to vote, reson being is I would like evey one that plans on fishing this season to be a happy as possable.:grin:

Hey guys! Just saw this. Things have been a little busy for me. Started building our new house in Midland in October that will hopefully be done by the end of the month. My daughter Hadley was born in November and Parker will be 4 in a couple weeks.

I planned on fishing these events last year and ended up making none. I will try to make a few this year no matter what the rules are. But I did learn a few things while I ran it so I'll throw out my $.02.

First, I agree with what Tom says. The big thing is to try and keep it fun. No matter what you do people won't be happy. I say set it up how you want Terry. Don't try to please everyone. I like the different points per species and weighing a 1 man DNR limit. As far as start time and place, I don't think it matters. With something like this that relies so much on the honor system people who want to cheat will find a way. Everyone else will play by whatever rules you set up.

I like the different ports and throwing South Haven in is a great idea. I can drink beer on a boat anywhere and it's good to have an excuse to go different places. People who are going to fish different ports will do it. Those who don't want to will find an excuse not to. When I moved it from Pt. Sheldon to Holland I had multiple people tell me they wouldn't fish it because it was too far. And I was the one trailering 100 miles in each direction!

There are advantages and disadvantages for each kind of boat when it comes to things like this. I might be more comfortable in 3' rollers but the guy in the 16' aluminum boat can jump up on the beach between the 2nd and 3rd sandbars and fly to where they want to go. I've been the benefactor in each case and it all evens out.

So my advice would be to do whatever you think will be the most fun. People who value the same things as you will show up and have a good time. Those who don't won't be there. Either way I know you'll do a good job.

And I hope you feel better soon!

Hey guys! Just saw this. Things have been a little busy for me. Started building our new house in Midland in October that will hopefully be done by the end of the month. My daughter Hadley was born in November and Parker will be 4 in a couple weeks.

I planned on fishing these events last year and ended up making none. I will try to make a few this year no matter what the rules are. But I did learn a few things while I ran it so I'll throw out my $.02.

First, I agree with what Tom says. The big thing is to try and keep it fun. No matter what you do people won't be happy. I say set it up how you want Terry. Don't try to please everyone. I like the different points per species and weighing a 1 man DNR limit. As far as start time and place, I don't think it matters. With something like this that relies so much on the honor system people who want to cheat will find a way. Everyone else will play by whatever rules you set up.

I like the different ports and throwing South Haven in is a great idea. I can drink beer on a boat anywhere and it's good to have an excuse to go different places. People who are going to fish different ports will do it. Those who don't want to will find an excuse not to. When I moved it from Pt. Sheldon to Holland I had multiple people tell me they wouldn't fish it because it was too far. And I was the one trailering 100 miles in each direction!

There are advantages and disadvantages for each kind of boat when it comes to things like this. I might be more comfortable in 3' rollers but the guy in the 16' aluminum boat can jump up on the beach between the 2nd and 3rd sandbars and fly to where they want to go. I've been the benefactor in each case and it all evens out.

So my advice would be to do whatever you think will be the most fun. People who value the same things as you will show up and have a good time. Those who don't won't be there. Either way I know you'll do a good job.

And I hope you feel better soon!

Thanks for the words of wisdom Nick , greatly appreciated.:)