W.m.f.l. 2015

Ok ,as some of you may have heard thru the grape vine I have taken over running the league from Jon..

Im looking forward to doing this this summer and would like to get it back to the number of participants that it was in the early 2000's when Caznik ran it.I would like to keep the rules mostly the same as last year.

Here is a copy of the current rules.

2014 West Michigan Fishing league Official Rules

• Set lines at 6 am and pull lines at Noon

• Weight in 1pm at the fish cleaning station

• We will fish predicted seas of 1-3' or less. (or game day call)

• If small craft advisories are in effect we, will not fish.

• I would like to encourage reports posted from teams after the events.

Communications encouraged on channel 72. Keep it clean for this is a family oriented event.

1. Max of 9 rods in the water at one time.

2. Tourney Fees. 15 dollars for tourney, 5 dollars for big fish.

3. Tourney Pay Outs will be on 15 boats or less

a. 1st place 50%

b. 2nd Place 30%

c. 3rd Place 20%

i. 15-20 boats = pay down 4 boats 40%,25%,20%, 15%

ii. 20+ boats = pay down 5 boats 40%, 25%, 20%, 10%, 5%

d. Tiebreaker will be biggest fish.

e. Big fish is winner takes all of big fish money.

4. Weigh your top 5 fish. Weigh Big Fish First. Only one fish may be

weighed per boat for Big Fish.

a. 5-Lakers

b. 10-Coho

c. 10-Kings

d. 15-Steelhead

e. 20-Brown

f. Point Per Pound

5. Max of 3 DNR limits of fish per boat may be kept.

6. Money is due at weigh-in. Gentleman's honor to pay.

7. Start out of the same port as the weigh in.

8. If two members are fishing together, than the boat they are fishing out of gets the point.

9. Follow all other State and Federal Laws. The captain is responsible for his crew. Keep it safe.

10. No Blow date.

11. You do NOT need to fish all events to partake in this league.

There are few things that i would like to change and these are as follows.

1. Remove the points per species and go back to 10 points per fish the way it was in the past.
  2. Make it a shot gun start at the piers so there is no issue with some being accused of starting early.
  3. And go back to a multipal port tournament like it was originally.

For those of you that don't no what I mean by "multi port" is. that the first few years this was done it we fished the first 2 in Port Sheldon and the last 3 in Muskegon .

I would like to see 2-3 in Holland and the last 2-3 in some place like Muskegon . When we did it this way it was a lot of fun , it was ran out of fisherman's landing and over half of the 20 plus teams that were in it every month would camp there and have a great time. It was also a great way to meat a lot of new people and learn a few more areas and techniques.

I would also like to bump the entry up to $20 with a $5 big fish pot.

Well with all of that said ,lets hear some thoughts and ideas from any one that has fished it in the past and is interested in fishing it this season.:)

Don't think I'll make the Muskegon ones since I don't trailer, so I'd kind of like to see alternating ports, Holland one then Muskegon next

Do you mean like one in Holland and then the next in muskegon and then back and forth ? That is a interesting thought.

Less out of town work this summer should make it a lot easier for me to attend again this season.

I think when caz did it he had the first 3 out of port sheldon, and the last 2 out of Muskegon. I'm open to the multi port thing again.

I think The winner of each event should have to wear a pink fighting belt at the next weighin also Terry if you need any help let me know.

Kevin , are you ok with makeing this a multi port thing?

If we keep the points challenge I would still like it to be were we keep your best 3 scores.

We don't know Muskegon at all last time we fished out of Muskegon blew out a lower unit didn't know about the middle of Muskegon lake got so shallow but wiser for it.Probably would be willing to try it.Would prefer Saugatuck,Holland,Port Sheldon not a problem to trailer my boat but might be for some.

I would prefer to have the majority of events out of Holland like we have had the last few years with maybe 1-2 events at other ports. This is just mainly for personal reasons related to the age of my kids, slipping the boat on the weekends, etc... & would not apply to everyone. I like the idea of fishing another port, but probably would not be able to pull off all the events if they were moved.

The shotgun start and points system is fine either way & might be fun to mix it up a bit.

We will make as many event as we can & have liked the friendly, but competitive nature of the guys in the league.

Last year was our first time fishing the WMFL and had a great time at every event and just wanted to say thanks to Jon for the time he put in to make that happen and also thanks Terry for keeping this event going into the future.

I like the idea of multi port to change things up a little but wanted to throw this out there why not a port like South Haven ??? I'm just saying this because they have lost there league and I'm sure there is some boats down there that would want in on the action and there is a league currently running out of Muskegon. Maybe the city launch doesn't make that a possibility im not sure but like I said just throwing an idea out there.

I'm sure you will do what is best for everyone and we look forward to fishing with everyone again this year where ever it may be.

I like it Terry make it more like a Pro Am style event without the large entry fee. I really like the port start to keep guys from being on the fish when the event starts. It makes everyone equal if you can see where they all run to in the morning. 10 points a fish is also the best way, fish are fish we tried the mixed points and it really did not work for us. Having consistent rules and scoring makes it much simpler to do challenge style events like the ones we planned in the past that never worked out. It would be fun to do a head to head at a neutral port like Grand Haven some time.

Last year was our first time fishing the WMFL and had a great time at every event and just wanted to say thanks to Jon for the time he put in to make that happen and also thanks Terry for keeping this event going into the future.

I like the idea of multi port to change things up a little but wanted to throw this out there why not a port like South Haven ??? I'm just saying this because they have lost there league and I'm sure there is some boats down there that would want in on the action and there is a league currently running out of Muskegon. Maybe the city launch doesn't make that a possibility im not sure but like I said just throwing an idea out there.

I'm sure you will do what is best for everyone and we look forward to fishing with everyone again this year where ever it may be.

That is a very good point on doing a few in South Haven , I really like the idea and will check into this.

If by port start you mean like everybody starts in the mouth personally I would not be for that our boat doesn't get and move quickly being stuck in the back fighting 10 or 15 boats wouldn't be fun for us and the only reason we do this is to have fun.

I like it Terry make it more like a Pro Am style event without the large entry fee. I really like the port start to keep guys from being on the fish when the event starts. It makes everyone equal if you can see where they all run to in the morning. 10 points a fish is also the best way, fish are fish we tried the mixed points and it really did not work for us. Having consistent rules and scoring makes it much simpler to do challenge style events like the ones we planned in the past that never worked out. It would be fun to do a head to head at a neutral port like Grand Haven some time.

You hit all the points im looking at Jim and all the reasons im looking at them. Thanks for the input to all that have commented , please keep them coming.

If by port start you mean like everybody starts in the mouth personally I would not be for that our boat doesn't get and move quickly being stuck in the back fighting 10 or 15 boats wouldn't be fun for us and the only reason we do this is to have fun.

This would be line up with in 1/4 mile north or south of the peirS so that you would not be influenced much by other boats , your boat is one of the larger in the group today so it would be safe.