Video on how to rig a planer board with a Sam's Pro Release

jimcr,

This setup will work on any board. I do lose a board from time to time and if thats a concern you could replace the or16 with a or18 as some of my customers do. It does add about 10 in initial cost but takes any chance of the board coming undone away. The only time i lose one is when the pad is worn in the or16 and i didn't change it.

Edited by Russell Gahagan

We essentially do the same thing but with a heavy tension orange Offshore clip on the front instead of the Sam's Pro Release. We only had the line slip out of the OR 16 one time but it was while changing lines so we were able to spin around and grab it. I do like the concept of being able to adjust the release tension on the front clip of the board. That would have come in very handy while running heavier sets on the rougher days. We had some issues with our boards releasing more than I would have liked in those conditions not to mention while trying to troll fast for steelhead.

To make sure you don't lose a board, replace the OR-16 with a big snap swivel. To keep the board in place from sliding down while fighting a fish, put a rubber band around the line 2-3 times and put the line and rubber band into the snap. It's very easy to undo the snap and take them out when reeling in a fish. The only drawback to this method is that you don't get any slack in the line between the two clips, but at least you aren't spinning circles after $25 boards due to pads that you didn't know were bad until they didn't work anymore.

I second the Snap idea Mike said it also makes your boards run much better. Nearly all of my inline setups are run with a snap swivel on the rear. If they are set to release I put a speed bead 4 to 6ft in front of the lure so the board can't slide all the way to the fish.

To make sure you don't lose a board, replace the OR-16 with a big snap swivel. To keep the board in place from sliding down while fighting a fish, put a rubber band around the line 2-3 times and put the line and rubber band into the snap. It's very easy to undo the snap and take them out when reeling in a fish. The only drawback to this method is that you don't get any slack in the line between the two clips, but at least you aren't spinning circles after $25 boards due to pads that you didn't know were bad until they didn't work anymore.

Do you have any pictures of this???

My setup for this year will be a mix of OR 18 for front release and the Sams release also on fronts. I may still use a few of the orange releases as well all of my boards will have snaps at the rear and I will be running beads about 6ft in front of the lure to stop the board. I won't be running front and rear releases any more I am just tired of the expense and the hassle. I played with this setup several times over the years and am going to stick with it this year for all my boards it also allows me to run a flouro leader after the bead on every rod.