Steelhead reports anyone?

This is the perfect time of the year. I haven't been able to get out much. I did get out for 2 hours a couple days ago. I caught a female brown full of eggs. I haven't heard great reports but I don't really care what others say. I remember your last post was about spawn under a bobber. I tried that about 3 weeks ago. Caught a nice steelhead. That was a ton of fun. Where are you from? What rivers do you fish?

I'm from the Three Rivers area but I usually travel to Berrian Springs and fish below the dam. I plan on trying there in the morning, but I haven't had much luck there in the last few years. I was considering trying the float technique if the water is slow enough, but usually the water is higher and faster this time of year so I may have to resort to bottom bouncing. Where do you usually go?

Black river in south haven. Only due to the fact its 3 miles away from where I live. Berrien springs always does better. You ever try the Dowagiac River below Pucker Street Dam? I only ask because I see the creel reports and it looks good in that area.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/st-joe-creel-summaries-species_266269_7.pdf

I have never fished the Pucker street dam but I've heard the same reports. Im hoping that maybe this winter will be mild enough that I can explore a few of these areas and check them out for myself. I figured berrian would be a good starting point tomorrow since it is someplace I am familiar with since winter fishing steelhead is something I've never tried before.

The steelhead fishery is solid on the St.Joe, from the dam at Berrien Springs all the way to the lake, the strength of the fishery changes daily with the amount of water coming down the river. When we had the big melt it was on fire. Try the Pipestone Creek hole and the Jasper dairy hole. There are a lot of good runs for drop back spawn fishing, and my personal fav. is to back troll against the current with body baits. Have fun the Steel are there.

Fished below the dam in Berrian from sunrise til about Noon Saturday morning. There were more people there than I expected but I never saw a single hookup all morning. So I assume you're saying when the water is up the fishing is better? since I'm limited to fishing from shore, I don't know of many other places that are accessible for me. Hopefully I can't get my boat ready for the spring!

Shore fishing is limited on the St. Joe, using a boat opens up a ton more good water to fish. A boat is the best way to fish it from Berrien to the Lake. It just lets you cover a lot more spots.

Ed said it all. One of the draw backs of the St. Joe fishery is the size and the amount of private land along the shore of the river. The only access points are public access points. A boat gives you the whole river to fish. Don't give up on the shore but move down to the old netting sites and drift the deep run. Its a tough way to hook up and the chances of getting a fish up the bank are slim but it can be done. Otherwise, any small boat with a small outboard and a few rod holders can become a Steelhead catching machine.

I'd highly suggest checking out the Dowagiac river if you don't have a boat. Steelhead can literally be caught out of it 12 months a year because of the large Skamania run it gets. I fished it a lot while living in South Bend for a year. The only real access for walk in anglers is at the Pucker street dam like was mentioned. One thing to keep in mind is that the Dowagiac has the highest gradient of any river in Southwest Mi. The current is very fast compared to other rivers in the area, in particular up by the dam. The better holes are a bit of a hike downstream and there is quite a bit of private property but it's a pretty easy river to stay in the water. Good luck!

• 3 months later...