Wire dipsey set ups

I love the 9' and 10' Taloras as well but they are 1200 for 4 of them. I have some Okuma Blue Diamonds that I had customized by Mac's Rod Shop in Ludington. Great rods! Have had them for about four years no sign of wear from the wire. As far as divers I use mag divers with mag rings on the lows set at 1 and regular divers with medium rings on the highs set at 3.5 The medium rings are not all that common but you can get them from Dreamweaver.

I got into the cold waters this past season and I like them a lot. Pretty nice drags. Drags adjust good is small increments. I like how the spool lever has good clearance from the line counter. Line counters are smooth and very clear. I'm running 7 or 8 of them. Going to put some Catalina's on the wire divers for next season though.

Drags suck for wire. The line guide would get out of time with the line coming off the spool. They are just not a reel for wire. I have other okumas convectors and clarions along with tekotas for core and copper. And truthfully I like the okumas better for core and copper. I've had Catalina's connectors and cold waters for wire and NONE compare with a tekota.

Drags suck for wire. The line guide would get out of time with the line coming off the spool. They are just not a reel for wire. I have other okumas convectors and clarions along with tekotas for core and copper. And truthfully I like the okumas better for core and copper. I've had Catalina's connectors and cold waters for wire and NONE compare with a tekota.

Thanks for the reply, I also am not fond of the cold water and wire combo. That's why I want to try some Catalina's.

I have Catalina's and they have the best drag of any of the reel I have ever used smooth and no stalling. If you buy Shimanos and use the fore grip with thier linecounters be prepared for the counter to hit your wrist if you pump the rod.

Poor ergonomic design IMO.

Last year we ran all 9'6" Shimano TDRs with twili tips. Low mag divers on 1 and high mag divers on 3. I really like the TDRs and am running them almost exclusively. The Daiwa Heartland rods are also an excellent choice without breaking the bank.

I picked up a Tekota 700 cheap for wire diver use. I liked it so much I bought another. They are $$, but they are very nice reels. I also use Daiwa 47s for wire since they are all around nice reels.

Edited by 1HI4X

I run 7' Talora roller rods with Tekota 600's for my low divers and 9' TDR diver rods with Tekota 600's for my high divers with braid. I run the big Deeper Divers (124mm?) on the lows and the small ones (107mm?) on the highs. I've tried almost every setup out there and really like the way I have it now. If you want to save money TDR's with a roller tip is a good setup. I ran Twilli tips for a while but they add a lot of resistance.