What do you think

caznik

Hey you fishermen,

With the charter fishermen fishing sometimes seven days a week and us weekend warriors out there fishing on Lake Michigan all the time. How many pounds of fish do you think get caught out of Lake Michigan every year?

Caznik

My guess would be about 1.8 million pounds of trout/salmon taken from Lake Michigan annually out of Michigan ports. That's a lot of fish. :eek:

My estimate approximates that, on average, 0.3 fish are taken per hour per angler. I'm also guessing that the broad average size of a fish taken is 7.5lbs. And to add to the list of guesses, I'm approximating that charter excursions account for about 65% of the total number of fish taken from Lake Michigan.

All of my guesses are just approximations on my part based on information I got from this DNR weblink:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/2004report_125898_7.pdf

The weblink doesn't spell out any exact catch rates, so you can't just read the number of fish taken from Lake Michigan. The link does go into how charter reporting is used to delevope data to explain great lakes fishing. It also describes a study that is used to examine how to rate successful fishing. All the way at the bottom of the study are some tables created for several great lakes.

Hey, there's a guess anyway.

Isn't it ice-out yet??!!?? :)

My guess would be about 1.8 million pounds of trout/salmon taken from Lake Michigan annually out of Michigan ports. That's a lot of fish. :eek:

My estimate approximates that, on average, 0.3 fish are taken per hour per angler. I'm also guessing that the broad average size of a fish taken is 7.5lbs. And to add to the list of guesses, I'm approximating that charter excursions account for about 65% of the total number of fish taken from Lake Michigan.

All of my guesses are just approximations on my part based on information I got from this DNR weblink:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/2004report_125898_7.pdf

The weblink doesn't spell out any exact catch rates, so you can't just read the number of fish taken from Lake Michigan. The link does go into how charter reporting is used to delevope data to explain great lakes fishing. It also describes a study that is used to examine how to rate successful fishing. All the way at the bottom of the study are some tables created for several great lakes.

Hey, there's a guess anyway.

Isn't it ice-out yet??!!?? :)

In your figures does that include the indians with their lovely fish nets?