Saginaw Bay Today.

With more then a little apprehension, I decided to head out this morning on the Bay. I kinda chickened out last night from our scheduled plans today, after reading the predicted off shore wind forecast. But two cell phone calls from both my buds early this morning, who went anyway's without me, was all I could mentally take. When I arrived at Ericson, there were already about 80 vehicles parked on the ice. There was a well worn trail going out that veered well North and cut through lots of rough ice and pushed up pressure cracks. I wanted to go more towards the Black Hole and where one of my buds was fishing. So I fallowed the well worn trail North and towards Pinconing road, to avoid that open water, and then cut back South when I got even with where my bud was set up. And that open water is indeed straight out from Ericson road. I/we seen it on the way back in tonight, and we actually fished all day about 1 mile NE of it in 21 FOW. I Started fishing by 10:00am. My bud had 3 fish by then and neither of us hit another till 4 :45pm. But then all heck broke loose, and we went 15 for 23 in the next hour. Here's a couple pictures for your enjoyment. :D

I also want to mention another thing. After re-rereading my own post about the tragedy on the Bay and the use of a GPS for safety sake, it may have sounded harsh the way I described the unfortunate man who lost his life. It was a bad choice of words on my part and I apologize if it did sound uncaring. We are all brothers on the ice. And loosing a brother is always a tragedy. :( :(

IM001300.sized.jpg

IM001305.sized.jpg

GJ Capt. Dan. Be careful out there.

I feel a whole lot better with a boat under my A$$. As you well know, the Saginaw Bay gets under estimated so many times, by unsuspecting novices, as well as over anxious pros. This relatively shallow bay can produce huge waves, that are so close together, it quickly becomes unnavigable for the small craft. The offshore wind is always a threat to the ice anglers. A compass, Rope, GPS, Cell Phone, and signal flares, are a must on the ice.

I know that no one respects the Saginaw Bay more than Capt. Dan.

GJ Capt. Dan. Be careful out there.

I feel a whole lot better with a boat under my A$$. As you well know, the Saginaw Bay gets under estimated so many times, by unsuspecting novices, as well as over anxious pros. This relatively shallow bay can produce huge waves, that are so close together, it quickly becomes unnavigable for the small craft. The offshore wind is always a threat to the ice anglers. A compass, Rope, GPS, Cell Phone, and signal flares, are a must on the ice.

I know that no one respects the Saginaw Bay more than Capt. Dan.

You got that right Frank.

In fact, I'd say I've grown even more caucious in my old age. Remember when there used to be 2 islands at the mouth of the river back in the 60's. I spent the night on the little one, one year after a duck hunt turned nasty and we couldn't get back that 1 mile to shore. Spent another night in the old lighthouse, on Charity Island with my brother and dad after a freak thunderstorm kepts us out there till after dark. Lots of mice and snakes on that island.:eek:

In fact, I'd say I've grown even more caucious in my old age. Remember when there used to be 2 islands at the mouth of the river back in the 60's. I spent the night on the little one, one year after a duck hunt turned nasty and we couldn't get back that 1 mile to shore. Spent another night in the old lighthouse, on Charity Island with my brother and dad after a freak thunderstorm kepts us out there till after dark. Lots of mice and snakes on that island.:eek:

Smart choices Dan. If more people would make decissions like this, there would be less accidents.