Colder lake temps - where to start looking?

jdh

I'll be fishing throughout the fall on Lake Michigan - weather permitting, but I noticed that the water surface temps have decreased to 58 degrees already in the Holland area, and I expect they will decrease to the mid to low 50's in a week or so.

Where would I start looking for steelies and salmon? Out in 200+ fow or right on the beach (probably steelies only)? Any tips?

I typically spread my baits where I think the productive water might be, so in the colder water I'd be running mono lines near the surface, but also running long coppers and deep riggers.

In my opinion you're too stuck on surface temp. This time of year, you have to remember the water down below is still warm too. If you have 58 on the surface you may go down 50-60 feet and still see 55-57 degree water. They'll be deep yet.

I understand that the fish may be deeper, but my last 3 trips most of the fish I found were in the warmer water. Actually most were in 60 degree water and only up to 50 ft down.

I suppose the best way learn where they are is to go fishing!

I understand that the fish may be deeper, but my last 3 trips most of the fish I found were in the warmer water. Actually most were in 60 degree water and only up to 50 ft down.

I suppose the best way learn where they are is to go fishing!

We fished this past weekend and the water was 58 on top and 58 down 160. There is no break anywhere, except closer to shore it was colder, but had tons of seaweed and junk floating in it from two weeks of rough weather.

It will be very slim pickings until we get some real cold water to blow in and mix things up a bit. The fish we caught, which were few, were scattered everywhere from surface to 60 down from 100 fow to 220.