Cruise ships on Lk. Michigan?

Anyone notice of late, say the last 5-8 years, that cruise ships are appearing on Lk. Michigan occasionally? I have, and thought I was seeing things, but it's true. Apparently an Ann Arbor based company has three ships that port down in Chicago, and traverse the entire lake up to Mackinaw Island, then back. Some also go thru Lk. Huron and Lk. Ontario. Seacatmich also saw one early in Sept. while fishing in Ludington. I have a link I'll post if anyone is interested. I know this has nothing to do with fishing, but these 100'-200' ships are now out there. Both close to shore, and in deep water too. It's something that we'll all have to keep a watch out for in the name of safety is my main point here. www.greatlakescruising.com is where you can see those three big ships. Nice vacation if you can afford it too it appears.

Cruise ships have been in Lake Michigan (as part of a Great Lakes cruise) for the last 20 plus years.....big and small. Blount Small Ship Adventures has three that may or may not be on in some combination during a given year....185 foot or so, Grande Mariner, Grand Carib and Niagara Prince. Pearl Mist, owned by Pearl River Cruises, a brand new 350 footer has been on this year as had the 450 footer Hamburg of Plantours, a German company...at least one new operator is scheduled on the Lakes next year with runs to Chicago....As many of these ships enter and leave smaller harbors and there is a tendency for small fishing boats to school around the entry ways, it is a good thing to keep clear of the cruisers.....regardless of the legalities of any given navigational situation, in the end big boat always wins....and by the way as I occasionally do some work on the cruisers, passengers are fascinated by the fishing fleets....

My daughter lives in TC and took a recent picture of that big liner sitting in bay. First time I've seen one on the GL. Makes me wonder where the "private island" is at? :no: I tried it a few times, but I'm not a fan of cruise liners.

it was the MS HAMBURG anchored in GT BAY . According to the paper and the coast guard - it is a german based passenger ship that left montreal on sept 24th now returning to her home port with stops at mack island and kingston on the way. It was these german based ships that first started comeing into the bay several years ago. At times they would run tenders to shore for shopping trips.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ryan. Nice shot in the arm for TC this late in the season too. Glad to see the visitors had a positive impression and good time. It would be nice if the ship would allow locals a visit aboard while the customers go ashore. That way they might draw even more business for cruisers. And we could also see what a Great Lakes cruise ship is all about.

Some/all of the port's Chambers of Commerce or Charter Boat Associations should coordinate with the cruise line to have some charter fishing trips available as part of the itinerary. I'm sure they want to put miles on during the night between stops but getting there early enough to let passengers go on a half day morning trip would really be a treat for the passengers. Catching a decent salmon or trout would have to be a thrill for many of them from Europe. Sight seeing and shopping is great but getting to fish for world class salmon is a once in a life time chance for many/most.

Thanks Ryan. Nice shot in the arm for TC this late in the season too. Glad to see the visitors had a positive impression and good time. It would be nice if the ship would allow locals a visit aboard while the customers go ashore. That way they might draw even more business for cruisers. And we could also see what a Great Lakes cruise ship is all about.

Sounds like you've never been on a cruise ship. Admitting the general public aboard would be a logistical nightmare and a huge security risk. Systems aboard the ship keep track of which passengers are aboard at any given moment. Passenger access is very tightly controlled.

If the cruise business continues to ply the Great Lakes, it would be to the benefit of the local communities to offer shore excursion opportunities for those passengers. Fishing, canoeing, beach breaks, winery tours, etc. are all possibilities for West Michigan ports.

I suppose you're right about security Ryan, esp. in this day and age. Being a child of the 50's-60's, I still often think like we're in a safe America most of the time. As for ocean cruises, I have been on many, probably about 14 to Alaska, Carribean, Mexico, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, to name some. If you count the local carferries, I forgot how many total...lol.